A Gift (Tessa x Will)

it was a summer morning at the institute and Tessa Herondale was sitting in the library. usually she'd be reading, but her mind was far to filled with other thoughts to focus on a book.

"Tessa?" a soft voice asked. she looked up to see the blue herondale eyes, and motioned for Cecily to come sit with her. "what's wrong? you've been acting weird lately."

tessa bit her lips sighed heavily. "can i tell you something? you must promise not to tell Will."

cecily nodded. "of course."

"i'm pregnant." tessa blurted. cecilys eyes widened and after a moment her face broke into a smile.

"pregnant?" she whispered for confirmation.

"pregnant." tessa confirmed. she fiddled with her hands as she looked out the window.

cecily placed her hand on tessas, bringing her eyes back towards her. "tessa, that's amazing! Will is going to be so excited."

tessa smiled at cecilys words. she had been quite nervous. i mean, she was sure will was ready for a child and to start a family... but she was still nervous nonetheless.

"you think so?" she asked.

"oh i know so," cecily smiled. "how could he not be? will loves you more then breathing, he'd be silly not too."

tessa giggled at her words and nodded. "i suppose i should tell him."

cecily patted her hand tenderly, and slipped off to go visit the horses. she seemed to have quite a love for them.

tessa gathered her dress and began the search for her husband. the institute was large, but she had learned to navigate her way through it all. it seemed to only be truly large when she was looking for something or someone.

as she wondered past their room she heard a familiar voice. "tess?"

she smiled at the sound of her husbands voice, turned and entered their room.

"oh i was just looking for you." tessa smiled.

will was sitting at the small desk, he seemed to be going through papers of a sort. tessa found most of the institute responsibilities boring, so she left them to will.

tessa sat at the edge of the bed and he turned to face her, smiling at her presence.

"do you have a moment? i need to speak to you." tessa said. will nodded.

"i suppose i can make time for you," he smirked. tessa rolled her eyes.

will came over and sat beside her, pulling her closer to him. she looked up at his blue eyes, and smiled. her thoughts seemed to ease slightly when she saw how he looked at her.

"so, i have a gift for you." she smiled.

Wills eyebrows shot up. "what for?"

tessa smirked. "uh, life?"

will laughed. "okay. then i guess i'm going to have to get you one as well."

"no," tessas hook her head. "the gift is for the both of us."

wills eyebrows furrowed now. "what do you mean, tess?"

"i'm about to tell you!" she cried. he smirked.

"okay," he said closing his eyes and holding out his hands. "i'm ready.

tessa giggled, placing her hands in his. "that's the thing, it won't arrive for another nine months or so."

"nine months!?" will exclaimed. "what in the world takes nine months to arrive? are you building it from scratch or something!? that's insanity-"

"no, will." tessa sighed. she looked up at him, hoping she could somehow get him to see what she was trying to tell him.

will looked at her, still utterly confused. nine months was quite a long time for a gift to arrive. he thought long and hard, and still no thoughts came to him. nothing that would take nine months.

"will," tessa sighed after awhile. "i'm pregnant."

Wills eyes widened as she said it. tessa watched as his face twisted in all sorts of ways asking all sorts of questions and feeling all the feelings under the sun.

"pregnant?" he asked for confirmation, just as his sister had nearly an hour ago.

"pregnant." tessa confirmed.

will looked away and stared off for a moment as if trying to completely grasp this. they were going to have a baby! a real baby. one that they could raise and love and hold.

he stood up quickly and grabbed tessa, lifting her up and kissing her face. "tess! we're going to be parents!"

tessa giggles. "yes, will. we are."

"this is the best gift i've ever been given!" he cries. tessa smiles.

once upon a time, Will was someone who could never love anyone. who would never let anyone in. who was cold and far. he would guard himself away from the world and any sort of love he pushed away, except for his parabati, Jem.

now he had fallen in love with a girl, and of course it was an awfully scary feeling, but he had grown to love life more now that he filled it with her. she had brought him so much happiness, something he only got moments of before but was now surrounded by.

but, beyond that, his loved to seem to only grow bigger through time. and now with a child?

"i don't know how this is possible, but i feel as if i love you a million times more." will whispered. tessa looked up at him and smiled.

"i love you, too." she whispered.

will inhaled deeply as it started to sit in, still holding tessas waist tightly as if she would slip away.

"is it a boy or girl?" he asked. tessa giggled.

"it's too soon to tell." she responded.

will nodded. "you can't be walking around much anymore. we'll need you to be resting as much as possible, and i'll get someone to bring up your meals so you don't have to walk down the stairs-"

"will, i'll be okay." tessa smiled. he nodded, even though tessa knew that wouldn't change his thoughts.

tessa could see wills mind thinking a million questions at once. she saw him doubting himself for split moments, thinking he didn't deserve tessa and their child.

she reached up and kissed him softly, both their eyes falling shut. they had kissed a million times before, but the feeling of electricity never faded.

when they pulled apart he smiled down at her.
"tess?"

"yes?" she asked.

"if it's a boy.." he whispered. "can we name him james?"

tessas face broke into a smile, and she nearly burst into tears at the question. she nodded.

"yes. james," she whispered. "i couldn't think of a better name."

and the two spent the rest of their night rejoicing in the anticipation of a baby coming soon, and awaited for the future. their story was only just beginning.