two

From across the plane, a toddler wailed loudly.

Hermione leaned back and tried to ignore the noise and the headache it was giving her. From beside her, Ginny huffed loudly.

"I don't know why we had to ride on this stupid aeroplane thing," she complained. "The seats are so uncomfortable! Why couldn't we just have apparated?"

"You know that intercontinental apparation can lead to fatal injuries," Hermione frowned. "Trust me, this is the best way."

"Yes, but I really would have preferred to go by portkey," Mrs. Weasley said nervously, shifting in her seat.

Both Ron and Draco nodded in assent. Hermione could sense that they were worried about being in such a huge muggle contraption.

However, Mr. Weasley seemed to be having the best time of his life.

"Now, Harry," he said, "how is it that this magnificent aeroplane can fly without any magic?"

"Well, it's kind of hard to explain..." He looked to Hermione for help.

"I'll be happy to explain," Hermione replied. "The engines—yes, like the ones on cars—on the plane help to move it forward. When the plane moves fast, the air flows over the wings and the air is directed to the ground at a rapid pace. When it does that, the force of the wind keeps the plane afloat."

Mr. Weasley frowned a bit, as though he didn't quite understand, but looked fascinated nonetheless.

"Just hope this bloody thing doesn't crash," Draco muttered.

"Flying is actually the safest form of transportation— for muggles."

Their conversation was cut off by the pilot's announcement.

"Ladies and gentlemen, welcome onboard the flight. We are currently third in line for take-off and are expected to be in the air in approximately seven minutes time. We ask that you please fasten your seatbelts at this time and secure all baggage underneath your seat or in the overhead compartments. We also ask that your seats and table trays are in the upright position for take-off. Please turn off all personal electronic devices, including laptops and cell phones. Smoking is prohibited for the duration of the flight. Enjoy your flight."

Hermione looked over to see Ginny bouncing her knee up and down and drumming her fingers on her thigh.

"Nervous?" she asked.

"No," Ginny shook her head. "Well— not about the fight, but meeting your family."

"I am quite nervous about this, too," Draco admitted. "Are you sure your uncle will not mind that Harry and I are attending? We aren't exactly related."

"Mate," Ron said, turning around in his seat to face Harry and Draco, "I know we got off to a bit of a rocky start, but don't forget that you're family. You have nothing to worry about."

Hermione nodded in assent. "And if Uncle Charlie doesn't understand that, well, we'll be turning right back around and coming home."

Draco smiled a bit and entwined his fingers around Harry's hand.

Once the plane was up in the air, Mrs. Weasley relaxed a bit, and Ron began playing around with the small, on-flight tv. Hermione leaned over and helped him find the movie he wanted to watch, and then chose one of her own. After showing Ginny how to do it as well, of course.

The flight was quite uneventful, save for the small tantrum the toddler from earlier threw, and Ron stuffing his face full of food. Hermione never had any appetite on planes, so she pushed her tray towards her husband, who quickly ate it up.

It was when the aeroplane began to descend when Hermione started to feel anxious. The trip didn't seem like such a good idea anymore. There were so many things that could go wrong. She could have been home, working through the piles of unfinished work and relaxing, but instead, she was in practically a foreign country, unable to work.

"You okay there, 'Mione?" Harry said, unbuckling his seat belt.

"No, no I'm not," she said. "We shouldn't have come here. MACUSA has the strictest statue of secrecy in the world. If we step one toe out of line, we could be banned from the country or even imprisoned! We can't use our magic at all in the vicinity of muggles, not even around my Uncle Charlie and Bella. We have to be totally perfect and we can't reveal ourselves at all! Merlin, I can't do this, there are just so many laws and regulations—"

"Hermione, relax," Ginny placed a comforting hand on her shoulder. "By now, I think we've spent enough time around muggles to fit in. Don't worry, your uncle won't suspect a thing."

"Ginny is quite right, dear," Mrs. Weasley assured. "We'll all be extra careful and we'll try to blend in; not seem so conspicuous. Won't we, Arthur?"

"Yes, yes, of course!"

Ron placed a quick kiss on her cheek. "We'll be fine."

Slightly less worried now, Hermione nodded. "Yes, you're right, it was silly of me to worry. We aren't little kids anymore, we can handle ourselves. Remember, Uncle Charlie and Bella are going to meet up with us. We've all got our stories straight, right?"

They nodded. Inhaling deeply, Hermione got out of her seat. Most of the passengers had already cleared out.

"Let's go."