six

Wolves. Giant wolves, growling at a pair of unfamiliar people. No, not people. Vampires. Hermione, taken aback, wondered where in the seventh circle of hell these giant beasts came from, when she realized.

Oh.

The Quileutes. They were wolves. Shapeshifters, rather.

She scanned the area, looking for her friends. Catching Harry's eye, she mouthed, Shapeshifters?

Harry nodded, eyes wide in shock.

"Don't attack," she heard a low voice say.

"We mean no harm," said another.

The wolves growled, uncaring.

Hermione crept around the edge of the house, hoping to reach her friends before there was any major assault.

She saw Ron with his wand outstretched and cursed him silently. This was America, for Salazar's sake. He could be arrested by MACUSA if he cast a single spell.

Before she could reach her friends, however, a wave of repulsion so strong overwhelmed her senses. She dropped to the ground and gagged. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw everyone else keel over as well, even the wolves and vampires.

The repulsion coursed through her entire body before stopping suddenly. Slowly, Hermione propped herself back up. What had just happened? Something that strong just had to be magic.

"Please, we just want to talk," the newcomer said. "Hear us out."

Indistinctly, Hermione heard Carlisle replying affirmatively, but she was busy approaching her friends.

"What was that?" she demanded.

"Shapeshifters," Harry gasped, the aftermath of the repulsion still affecting him. "And some more vamps."

"We know that," Ginny rolled her eyes. "But what was that?"

"It was vile," Draco said. "Absolutely vile."

Mr. and Mrs. Weasley looked dazed, as though they couldn't quite believe what had just happened.

"I am starting to wish we had stayed home," Fleur muttered, her frown causing ripples on her perfect features.

By the time Hermione looked back towards the Cullens and the Quileutes, the hostility had died down, and while Carlisle and Esme were talking to the newcomers, the rest were simply staring at her and the rest of the guests warily.

"Oh no, they know our big secret," Leah deadpanned. "Whatever shall we do?"

"Leah, this isn't funny," Jacob said.

"What's funny is that they already knew about us and none of you realized it."

"What?"

"Oh for God's sake, Edward, you can read minds. And Alice, you can see the future. How did neither of you notice?"

"Alice is a seer?" Draco asked interestedly.

"I suppose you could call it that. But my vision's subjective, you know that," Alice replied.

"I can't read their minds." Edward scowled.

They exchanged glances.

"All of them?" Carlisle joined the conversation, with the newcomers nowhere to be found.

"Yes," grumbled Edward. "I don't know how."

"Maybe it's like a recessive gene in my family," Bella said, amused. "He can't read my mind either. I have some sort of mental shield."

Hermione glanced over at Draco, who looked down guiltily.

"I don't know," Edward said. "I could when they first got here. All except Draco. But soon after that it was like I was locked out."

"Well that's a bloody relief," Ron replied. "No offense mate, but I don't want you digging around in my mind."

"Why don't we go back to the part where you knew about us the whole time?"

"It's... kind of obvious," Ginny lied. "You're beautiful, you're pale, and Bella and Edward look much too young to be in their thirties. Also your eyes are weird."

Leah snorted. "Yeah so now that's over, what happened to the bloodsuckers?"

"They seem friendly," Carlisle looked slightly uneasy. "But thirsty. I asked them to hunt before we could talk — we don't want an accident with our guests."

Esme sighed. "I'm so sorry about this," she said. "This was supposed to be a nice get together."

"Oh, don't be sorry, Esme," Mrs. Weasley reassured. "It's not your fault. We're not worried."

"But you should be," Bella said. "I don't want you here when they come back, just in case. Charlie and Sue, you should go back home. We can reschedule. And Hermione, you and your family can go with them. We don't know if they're dangerous or not."

Hermione elbowed Harry in the ribs just as he was about to protest. "Of course, Bella. We understand. And we wouldn't want to be caught in the crosshairs, either."

"You lot are taking this awfully well," Charlie said when they had arrived at his house. "The first time Jacob showed me his wolf form, I nearly passed out." He chortled.

"There are stranger things in Britain," Hermione joked.

"Of course. Well, make yourselves at home. You might be here for a while."

hey guys sorry for the slow updates

and this chapter is pretty dialogue heavy so sorry about that but i don't know how to fix it lmao