Chapter 1 - Promises

Emelia Tharts
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It’s been two weeks since the murder. I’ve tried to get the best detective on my mother’s case, but they all seem to be unavailable or an assignment already. So I’ve decided to do it myself. Yes, the insecure, clumsy, and possibly insane girl known as me will be doing the murder case of mother. My long red scarf billows behind me as a breeze falls over me.

I changed a lot over that time. Now I’m not that funny and sweet caring girl who always wore dresses and makeup. I’m unequal to what I was before, I always have a serious tone expect when I’m around Conner, I wear black or gray box skirts, and my mother’s white blouses, and always my yellow cardigan. And I make my red scarf hide my mouth to avoid talking to people. I’m also a lot tougher, sometimes at night I train myself to be ready for an attacker with a martial arts book I got at the local library while also sleeping with a gun at night just in case.

I walk home in the misty fog of the streets. Over the two weeks my brother and I stay at our mother’s house and I have a few jobs to take care of us, I even quit school. Besides I did have the best grades, I was going to skip ahead too, but all of that changed since you know the murder.
People have been offering us help, but I turn them down. I want to prove to them that I can take care of me and brother. The only other person I’ve let help me is Mrs.Tweebly, an old lady who babysits Conner while I’m doing my nightshift for one of my myriad of jobs. She even does it for free!

Unlocking the door with my key I fumble with it and drop it. I bend down to pick it up, but I hear something. Something rather unusual, it’s quite regular that it should be silent at this time.  Its 11:23, people should be asleep by now. Softly I pursue the sounds, or should I say voices. It goes all the way around the corner.

“FREDRICK, you idiotic fool, you weren’t supposed to do that!” The voice belonged to a male. I hear a loud crash. Something must have been dropped.  Using the dark shadows to cover me I watch them from afar. I can’t really make out their characteristics, but it seems that taller one is not Fredrick.

“George, I don’t want to kill the girl, I’m wearing my best clothes tonight,” Fredrick said to the other man, whose name is George.

“You don’t have to kill her I will, now get the guns,” My hand reaches for the gun in my leather satchel bag. Unfortunately when I take it out the bags closes, loudly which then causes it to echo, and that makes both their heads turn to me. I hide underneath the darkness further. They stare at me for some time, and then go back to what they’re doing. The shorter man who’s Fredrick takes out the guns from the Buick classic car and hands one to George.

Then they leave around the corner, and stop in front of my house. I trail behind them silently and grab Fredrick since he well is shorter than George. I hold him in head lock and point the gun to his head.

“HEY YOU!” I yell at George. He whips around and stares at Fredrick, who struggles under my grip.

“Girl you better watch your tongue,” He smirks and steps closer. I hold Fredrick tighter and the gun against his head.

“Careful where you step or he’ll have a bullet in his head,” I give him a sly smile back. He obviously steps back away. No I’m not really going to kill Fredrick; I’m not that kind of person. But I do need answers, and right now he is my key to them.

“Now tell me why you’re at my home, or else,” I say and push the gun harder. He gives Fredrick a look and then stares at me. I give him a few moments to answer, but he doesn’t take it.

“TELL ME NOW!” I yell, probably waking up half of the neighborhood. He hesitates before talking to me.

“Ok, Ok, I’ll talk. We were sent here to kill you, now please let go of him,” He puts his hands up.