7

That night you were unable to sleep. You lay on the bed in the guest room. 

"Damn..." you hissed quietly to yourself. You stood and with a heavy heart, made your way to Itachi's room, dagger in hand. You slipped into the room and closed the door quietly and approached his sleeping form. He looked so peaceful...

You pulled the dagger out in front of you and brought it closer to his neck. One clean cut and you were home free. Your dagger inched closer and closer.

Your hand stopped in it's track. Your head screamed for you to do it but your heart told you not to. Tears formed in your arms and you dropped to your sides.

"Damn it!" you cried. Itachi stirred awake. At that same exact moment you made a decision. You quickly slapped your hand to his mouth. He tensed in his spot. "Shh...it's me." he relaxed. You removed your hand.

"What are you doing awake so early?" he asked with a yawn.

"Itachi...we need to talk...Its important..." you said. "In fact I need to talk to you and your parents..."

"Can't it wait until morning?"

"No!" the tears finally fell and Itachi sat up.

"H-hey...don't cry...its going to be ok," he gently pulled you down beside him and rubbed your back.

"No it's not! You don't understand!" it was then he noticed the dagger in your hand and gave you a suspicious look.

"(Y/n)...what's going on? Why do you have a weapon with you?" you felt him tense.

"Itachi I'm sorry!" you swung at him but he narrowly missed. He jumped from his bed and kept avoiding each hit.

"What's gotten into you?" he hissed. You swiped his feet from beneath him. As he crashed to the ground, you pounced on him, pinning him to the floor, dagger to his neck. Your hand shook. You couldn't kill him.

Itachi was frozen. His best friend was trying to kill him and he couldn't understand why.

"I-I can't...." you whispered dropping the dagger.  You didn't move though.

"What's. Going. On?" he asked more slowly.

"Itachi Uchiha. I am not who you think I am. You think I am a normal teenage high school girl. I am but i'm also an Assassin. My recent mission was to kill you and in order to do that I needed to get close to you. But....I can't do it...I just can't. My head says to slit your throat right here, right now but my heart says not to. Whenever I think about killing you, my chest hurts. It hurts so much! If I don't kill you, I will lose my life..." you put your head on his chest and cried.

"Then don't..." he said after a while.

You looked at him with wide teary eyes.

"But-"

"I don't understand why you were sent to kill me...or why you're even an assassin...but if your heart tells you not to do something then don't do it..." he said. "Listen to what your heart says...not your head."

With those words said everything fell into place. The reason why you couldn't kill Itachi Uchiha was because...you were in love with him.

"I see...." you smirked.

"What?"

"Itachi this will probably be the last time I see you. If I am going to defy my orders, it means my life. However I can keep my life and run but that also puts you in danger. Other assassins will come after you. I can't believe I will actually kill all my fellow assassins..."

"If you're going to kill them all...then why is this goodbye?" he asked.

"Because I might lose my life. If I don't one of them will escape and I will hunt me down for as long as I live." you explained.

"Then don't let any escape," he said simply.

"Ya know...you're pretty calm about this..." you muttered.

"I guess i'm in shock," he let out a nervous chuckle.

"I'm going now....but before I go...." you leaned down and gently kissed him on the lips and pulled away. "I just want you to know that I love you. Even though i'm confessing, I don't want you to return the feelings. Live and forget about me." you got off the shocked Uchiha, picked up your dagger and opened the window. "Goodbye..." 

You disappeared into the night.