19.

"Well, that's everything. You never truly realize how much shit you accumulate over the years until it's all packed up in boxes."

"You okay? I know leaving can be hard sometimes. And Lea did grow up here. I know I attach sentimental value to places."

They stood in the middle of his empty apartment; quiet, lights off. It was oddly fitting, that this space, which had only ever felt like a home because of the sunshine Lea brought to it, was now barren. A door closing, while another one opened.

He shook his head, wrapping his arms tightly around her waist from the back. "I'm ready to make new memories, with you and Lea. Your place feels more like a home than this apartment ever has in the five years I've lived here."

And he knew it was because her house was filled from top to bottom with her light and with her warmth and the little touches that were indelibly her; the white roses from the garden that sat in smooth Crystal vases on every surface, bright colors, her array of awards that he loved to look at, pictures of family and of friends that decorated the space. He loved that there was usually noise and commotion of some kind with the dogs running around and Lea chasing after them, her team in and out, interviews and photo shoots, and so much laughter.

But at the very end of the day, it was just the three of them and it was difficult to pinpoint a time where she hadn't been in their lives.

Perhaps home was not a place, but a person.

He kissed the back of her neck, delighting when she shivered and unconsciously shifted her hips into him.

"I love you," he whispered against the soft flesh.

"I love you." She turned her head to look at him. "Before you came into my life, I felt so incredibly lonely so much of the time, even surrounded by people. I don't know what it is but once I met you and Lea, all of that's changed. You two make my house a home, too. I hope you know that, Bradley."

"We're starting a new life together and I can't wait."

And for the very first time, in many years, he was looking to the future without dread, without trepidation.

He wasn't afraid, because he knew, undoubtedly, she would be holding his hand the whole way.

***

"We don't have to do this," Stefani said as softly as possible. "We could call, tell her we've changed our minds."

She clasped his hand, her own slick against his palm. She was upset, clearly, and his heart sank. But, as they drove down the street, sun shining and the breeze fluttering gently, he could only tell her what he had been trying to convince himself of for the past few days.

This was the right thing to do.

Lea in her car seat, was sipping water from her Frozen travel cup, kicking her feet and singing along to the radio, blissfully unaware, and he got a sharp pang, dead in the center of his chest.

They'd sat up, half the night, Bradley lamenting that he'd made a mistake, that he never should have agreed to allow Irina to see her, that he should've thrown the scrap of paper with her number on it away and never looked back.

But gradually, with Stefani's support, he'd come to accept that although Irina had chosen to walk away, if the situation had been reversed, he would have prayed for her to show an ounce of compassion and permit him to at least see her a single time. At the end, his empathy had won out.

The meeting had come with a forewarning. He had let her know, in no uncertain terms, that if she even attempted to tell Lea who she was, they would immediately leave, no questions asked. It was also made clear that he and Stefani would remain in the room the whole time.