Vanessa Hayes

TWO

Sophie's laughter blended in with the rest of the kids at they ran around the lobby. Pushing each other around, the seven kids ran out of the compound; running around on the grass outside.

Next to me, Harry stood with his hands tucked under his armpits, as he looked out of the window. On the steps, the rest of the Dauntless sat, Uriah, was in the middle with his arms hung loosely over Marleen's shoulder. 

"It's been two days." Harry snarled," They should be here by now."
I took in a breath," Tori and Zeke will be here when it's safe for them to leave."
"Not them." Harry sighed," The journey from Amity to here take thirty minutes by train, one day on foot."
I rolled my tongue on the roof of my mouth," With Erudite patrols, maybe it's taking longer."
"That or they are dead."
"Well aren't you a barrel of laughs this morning." I laughed at Harry's sour expression.

My smile faltered a little when I spotted two figures dressed in black walking up the Candor paths. Uriah jumped off the wall, greeting the two like friends; tapping my fingers together, a small smirk danced on my face. Going up the stairs, as he opened the door; I pulled Four into a hug, wincing slighting from thee twinge of pain from my shoulder.

"You bloody idiot!" I laughed, pulling away," How did you get out of Abnegation?"
Four put a brotherly hand on my face, "Jeanine took me back to Dauntless, Tris. Peter, Caleb, my father and Tris's dad came to get me."
"Your father?" I questioned.
He gave a forced smile," Yeah."
"And my brother?"
"yes." Four muttered as he walked up the stairs," How many stayed?"
Harry let out a sharp breath," At our last count, seventy-five?"
"Seventy-five?" Four questioned as we reached the top of the stairs.

"More keep finding us," I pointed out," It could be more."
Four groaned," That not nearly the numbers we need."
"Tell me about it." I grumbled," But most went back because they are scared."

"Hold it!"

With a click of a gun, Four pointed his gun at the guards triggering the surrounding armed guards to hold their guns out. I rolled my eyes as the Four and Tris stood in the middle of a stand-off.

"Put them down," I growled, my eyes darting around, calculating the situation.
Tris looked at me," not until they do."
"This is their home, they have a right to defend it," I told her.
Harry put his arms up," Guys, they are just like us –"
"We know who they are," Simon spoke, his eyes looking down the barrel of his fun.
"Drop your guns." I spoke quietly," We have made a temporary home here, do not ruin that."

Four looked at me, then Tris; his gun wavering in his hand as one of the Armed guards put his gun to the back of Tris's head. Nodding slowly, Four pulled the safety back on his gun, holding his hands out in surrender he lowered down to the ground slowly; dropping the gun on the marble.

Following his lead, Tris did the same.

With no resistance, Four and Tris allowed the guards to restrain them with fabric cuffs. The two where lead out to the lifts where two guards stood at either side of the door as another two entered the lift with them.

"Where are they taking them?" Christina asked.
I sighed," Jack's office most likely."
"What do we do?" She asked.
"We are still guests here and whatever Jack says, goes." I turned to her," Find Violet find another two beds for Four and Tris, then get Marleen to find some blankets."
Christina nodded beckoning over Violet as she left the lobby.

Running up the stairs to the sixth Floor, Sophie ran close by me as I pushed the doors open to our living space.

Ronnie was sitting behind and open curtain where she set up a small first aid centre for both Dauntless and Candor. As I approached, she creased her eyebrows, putting her book down.