Chapter nine (unedited)

Chapter nine:

It has been two days since I punched Danny. I'm still not satisfied with it. He deserves a lot more than what he got. Charles and Wes tried to tell me how wrong it was but I didn't listen. I just closed the door in front of their faces. I would rather be angry than sad. I can't bear it anymore. The sadness is consuming me. My phone buzzes flashing Fiona's name.

"Are you okay?" She asks in a low voice. What a stupid question! Does it look like I'll be okay?

"What do you want?" I counter.

"The company called me. They have a new offer for you. If you're feeling good, we can meet in an hour at the same café." She says.

I sigh. "All right but come at Charles'. I'm not going to step out of my house right now." She agrees and hangs up.

Exactly an hour after, the bell goes off. Someone opens the door and beckons her into my room. She gives me a pitiful smile which I hate and sits opposite to me on my bed. She takes out a couple of files and looks at me in her Agent look.

"What's the offer?" I ask coldly. I really don't care about the contract anymore. I just want to escape the mess I'm in. This is all fucked up. I want to go somewhere where nobody knows me.

"Have you seen the news lately? The media is really interested in you and-" I cut her.

"That's why you are here? To take the contract away from me because I fought with a fucking bastard." Fiona shakes her head and puts her hand on my thigh. I feel uneasy but don't shrug.

"Nope. Listen to me," she demands. "The news is not covering the fight. It's really interested in you and Ms. Andrews. When she held you, you seemed different. As if you're in lo-"

"No, no. Not going to happen. I absolutely hate her and I'm not going to ask her help in anything," I deny.

"Caleb, it could be a life-changing opportunity. The contract is simple. Date her, engage and then marry. You can divorce once your book is published and sold out. It will be a sizzling experience. Your fans would love it!" Fiona claps her hand in excitement. I look at her, stunned.

"Are you kidding me? Forget about dating Nora. I'm not even going to go near her!" I shout. She doesn't bulge.

"It will be contracted. You have to pretend only in front of the camera. Just write the most convincing romance story in which you're the protagonist and she is your love interest." I fall silent. "Look, it is clear that you two have a history. If you write about it, no matter how true or false it is, people will believe it. You two have chemistry. Besides, if you hate her then I'm pretty sure she did something to you."

That's the thing. I wanted her to do something. She didn't.

"In a way, you're just using her. Ask her to sign a contract that states the conditions like to pretend to be in love, engage for a few weeks, marry and then after a year when the book is sold out, you can divorce. You can pay her a particular amount. She won't disagree. I've found out some basic information about her. Take this." She hands me a folder with the name Nora Andrews. I look it, curious if she knows anything about her real past.

"Consider it." She smiles before walking away.

●●●

I read Sloane's folder. It has a considerate amount of wrong information, at least different from what I knew. The profile says that her real name is Nora Andrews, her birth town in Borashi Town near New York. Her dead parents' names are Gregory Andrews and Becca Andrews. She is a wedding planner. And is currently living in the Aqua Area Hotel.

I take in the information and think of considering it. With a loud kick, the door of my room flings open with Ellie entering. She has a plate full of chopped fruits.

"You better eat this, Caleb or I'll kill you," she warns. I roll my eyes.

"You can't kill someone that's already dead," I mutter but she doesn't respond it. She just gives me a furious look. She glances at the folders lying in front of me.

"What is going on?" She asks.

"I'm planning to rekindle my relationship with so-called Nora Andrews," I blurt out. Shouldn't have said that. I should hide the contract. The fewer people know, the better.

"Oh, my God. Really?" She grins.

"Yeah, well. I want to see what she has to say." I try to be convincing. I'm a pretty decent liar. This will work.

"You're lying." She places her hand on her hip.

"I'm not. I just want to know her. Just give it a shot. And these folders were to see where she was living right now. Will was the one who gave me a complete history of her." I shrug. She slumps her shoulders down and nods.

"Does it mention us or Brimville?"

"Nope. It has mostly false information. Says that her real name is Nora and she grew up in Borashi," I tell her.

"Bullshit," she curses. "Why would she pretend to be someone else?"

"I aim at finding that out." I lie. A smile shots from ear to ear and she embraces me. I don't react. She kisses my head and whispers,

"I'm so happy that you're pursuing someone you love!" I don't say anything because that's not what I'm pursuing. I'm pursuing something that I love and that doesn't include Sloane.

I'm going to use you, Sloane. And I'll use it for my benefit.