Chapter fifteen (unedited)

Chapter Fifteen:

Sloane was asleep in my room. Her wounds were dressed and she was still unconscious when we brought her home. The doctor said that she is weak and she needs to eat something as well as avoid stress for the next few days.

I tried to stay with her all the time but Ellie and Selena forced me out to take a nap but I couldn't. Seeing her this helpless and bruised made me sick. I was wrong. I misunderstood what she was doing.

She was trying to run away from her cousin. But I still didn't know the whole story. I asked Wes and Charles to not tell this to Ellie and Selena. Not that I don't trust them, I just don't want them to lash out or get worried, especially Ellie who is carrying a fetus inside of her.

I sigh and get up from the couch. I had enough "sleep" and now it's my turn to check up on Sloane.

I make my way to the bedroom and twist the doorknob to peep inside. Ellie was sitting on my desk and Selena was on the bed beside Sloane who was lying on the bed. My heart sank. Why isn't she waking up?

I walked in. Ellie's eyes met mine.

"You still haven't answered my question, Caleb. What was she doing in that location bruised?" Ellie questioned and stood up, taking the help of my desk.

"I want to stay with her. Please can you two leave."

"Don't push the question away," Selena said through gritted teeth.

I groan. "Can we not talk about it?" It was more like an order.

"You've been saying that for the past three hours. You will tell us. And you will tell us now."

"Fine!" I raise my hand in surrender. "It was some common kidnappers. They wanted money from me and used Sloane to get it. But she got away with their phone before they could call me, okay?" I lie.

"Did you guys catch them?" Selena asked in a soft voice.

"Yes and we handed them to the cops." This was the story Charles, Wed and I had agreed on. "Can I be alone with her now?"

Ellie and Selena exchanged looks and nodded before walking away. They closed the door behind them and walked to the chair that stood beside the bed. I watched her chest fall up and down. Her breaths were steady.

I massage my temples.

"Cal...Caleb."

I immediately look up and find Sloane staring at me. I leave a breath of relief and smile. I stand up from the chair and kneel to hold her hand in mine.

"Sloane. Oh, my God. I thought I had lost you."

She shook her head. "We can't be together. He...we can't. Not even on camera." Her voice is fragile. She is fragile.

"You're safe with me. I'll protect you from him. Don't run away again." I squeeze her hand.

She sighed. "It's not about him, Caleb." She lets go of my hand and sits up with my help. I stiffen and lean back.

"It's not about Reggie." She repeats. "don't want us to be together. I agreed with the contract because I needed money but I don't anymore. I've got a job offer."

"But...but. I finally have you back in my life. I can't lose you again." Tears fill in my eyes.

"You have to. You have no choice. Please," she said. "I want you to let me go."

I don't cry. I wipe my eyes and lower my eyes as I sit back on the floor, stunned. It's happening again. She wants me to let her go. She doesn't love me as much as I do. It's my fault. I shouldn't have brought her back in my life. It's my fucking fault.

I look dead into her eyes.

"Okay. I will let you go but I want you to answer my question." She doesn't reply, so I continue. "Tell me honestly, why did you leave us that day six years ago? Why did you leave without saying goodbye?"

She looked away. "I...the dare that I talked about was fake. I didn't have any friends other that you all but I wanted to end whatever we were feeling because...because Harry threatened me to hurt you. And I couldn't let that happen so I did what I had to do."

"Why did you leave?"

"The same reason. I had promised to help Harry's mother get a job in my dad's company but I failed him. I couldn't talk to my dad. And he got mad because his mother suicided. He threatened me to come back and I panicked. I convinced my parents to leave town."

"Why did you do it, Sloane?! Harry had no power over me. We could've done something. Fought together. For each other." I half-yelled.

She sighed. "Tear the contract, Caleb. I have to go."

"Why do you want to leave now? Why can't you stay with me? I'm ready to follow you wherever you go." I'm hopeful. She refuses to speak. "Tell me, Sloane. Why? WHY?"

"Because you're obsessed with me!" She shouts. I stand up, my eyes bawling out.

"What?"

"You heard me. Look at you, Caleb. I liked you back in time, yes but look at you now. It's been six years and you can't think of anything else but being with me. You have this fantasy of being with Sloane forever. I'm not your property to have! This is not a book that you're writing about where there are happy endings. This is real life. And no one gets everything they can have!"

"That's what you think? I loved you, Sloane! I still do because you were the best thing that happened to me in this crappy world that we live in! This isn't an obsession. This is love but of course, you wouldn't know. You were the one who killed her brother." The words leave my mouth before I could think.

My words hurt her. It was sprawled all across her face. I couldn't do anything. The damage had been done.

"How dare you." Tears escaped her eyes. I couldn't see her cry, so I turn around. She took a deep breath and I heard the door close. She left.

She left again.