Chapter fourteen (unedited)

Chapter fourteen:

It's been two days. I spent my days and night answering some important emails and writing the new book. I'm not sure what to name it yet. I'll come up with something eventually. I brainstormed a few ideas and wrote a few flashbacks. Fiona probably expects me to write the entire convincing story about Sloane and I but instead, I'm changing our character names. I'll have to mention in the interviews that it's our story.

My phone rings and cuts my trail of thoughts. Without glancing at the caller ID, I pick the call up.

"Caleb!" Her desperate voice squeals through the other line.

"What is it?" I'm assuming that it's her complaining about the paparazzi.

Her breath is unsteady. "I-I am tr-trapped some..somewhere..." she stutters.

I get up from my chair. "What?" Concern lacing my voice. "Where are you, Sloane. Is everything all right?"

"I don't know...I-I was asleep and then I woke up in this small cupboard. I...I think I concussed," she whispers.

"Hold on, Sloane. Hold on. I'll track your call. Don't hang up. Wait!" I run into Ellie's room. She was busy scrolling on her phone when I snatch it from her. She protests but I dial a number while making sure that Sloane is not falling unconscious.

"Cal.Caleb. It is Reg..gie. He will kill me." The other number that I dialled keeps ringing.

"I'll find you, darling. Wait for me. Find a way to stay awake, okay? I'll be there. Can you see anything around you?"

"I...my hands are tied. And, and it is dark here. I'm scared, Caleb. I...I'm sorry for what I did to you-"

"I'm coming for you. Just wait for a few more minutes." I toss the phone to Ellie and ask her to keep talking to Sloane. She nods while I keep dialling Will's number. After three rings, he attends my call.

"Yes, boss?" He questions in a yawning voice.

"Track the number I'm sending you. Right now!"

"On it." I send me Sloane's number. After ten long minutes, he sends me the location. I hurriedly grab a coat and my car keys. On my way downstairs, I send the same location to Wes and Charles, asking them to come (I add 911 so that they take it seriously).

She said it's Reggie, her cousin. Does that mean she wasn't lying? Sloane does exist, contrary to what she had said that night. She was lying about Sloane not existing the whole time. But, why? And why does Reggie want to kill her? I remember vividly about the whole story about her cousin Reed and how everyone blamed her but kill? That's a lot to process.

OH, FUCK.

She once mentioned something about a psychopath. Is Reggie the psychopath she is running away from? I take a deep breath while driving my car at the maximum speed possible. The location leads me to an abandoned industrial site. Charles and Wes are already there, waiting for me. I grab the hammer that I have in my car and hop out.

They both near me. "What's wrong? What's the emergency?" We walk towards the isolated industry. I kick the door open.

"Scatter around. It's Amber. She is trapped somewhere. It's a small space, she said. A cupboard, maybe." They nod. My phone buzzes with Ellie's name on it.

I attend the call while my eyes travel all around. "What is it? Is she okay?" My voice is raspy.

"She thinks someone is also there with her. Be careful, Caleb. Should I call the cops?"

"No, it's fine. The three of us can take care of it." I don't listen to anything else and cut the call. With a hammer in my hand, I stride carefully-ready to attack. There's a shuffling noise at one end. I run to catch the person. It's a little dark so I couldn't see anything but the outline of him. I was about to catch him when I hear Wes' voice.

"We found her!"

I pause. I am about to chase the man again but he is out of my sight. I follow Wes' voice and find them in one corner. Charles was holding her as Wes ran to get her some water. I see her pale skin and blood dripping from her head, and run to her. I drop on my knees and embrace her. She is weak but conscious.

"Ah, you're safe, sweetheart. You're safe with us." Her breath falls on my face as we pull apart. She doesn't say anything but nods. Wes comes back with water. She takes a few sips.

"Let's take her to the hospital." I nod and carry her in my arms. I place her in my car and drive off to the hospital. Wes and Charles follow my car. She falls asleep as I carry her back to a stretcher. They take her to a room while we sit back and wait.

It's the same hospital as my mum's. I sign.

I was about to lose Sloane. Again.

"What is going on, Caleb? Why was she there?" Wes questions.

"Her...her cousin is trying to kill her," I tell them. I know it's not my part to tell. It's her secret but this was too extreme. I can't lose her again. I don't care about revenge and karma. I love her. I know I do. And I'll do anything I can to protect my girl. She is mine. She will always be mine.

"What the heck? Why?"

And I tell them. I tell them every single thing.