Final Author's Note - End of Series

This pains me to write.

After JK Rowling revealed her true nature as a transphobe back in December 2019, I tried to convince myself that I could separate the art from the artist - that if I just read and wrote queer and trans-affirming HP fanfiction, that it would be OK. I could still appreciate the books that helped shape my childhood. I used to think of her as a role model.

But JKR has continued to escalate in her violence towards the trans community. Towards my family. Rather than writing a series on HP, she's now written a series on transphobia. Today, there were well over 20+ tweets and retweets of absolutely horrific transphobia. She claims that she is "standing up for women", she is "standing up for survivors", she is "standing up for confused kids". She is not. She has done lasting damage to trans and nonbinary people like myself who had seen ourselves belonging in Hogwarts. She is advocating for interpersonal and systemic violence against trans women, nonbinary folks, trans men, and the whole diverse trans community. She is abusing her platform to commit violence against my community.

A couple of months ago, I buried all of my Harry Potter books and movies at the bottom of my bed. And those are now going in the recycling later this week. Even just having the books in my room feels like a toxic presence of hatred that is choking me. THAT is the damage that she has done.

I'm officially done with the Sydney Dadzie-Granger series. I finished part of book 2 that remaims on my profile. I appreciate all of you who have stuck with it - who have followed avidly and messaged me and been supportive. But it's too hard for me to write - it hurts too much. For that, I am really sorry. But I am grateful that things ended on a fairly positive note that leads things open to how you want the story to end.

You can't separate the art from the artist. Don't kid yourselves. You cannot claim to be a trans ally while still supporting JKR or the HP series. For my trans siblings - believe me when I say that I understand the conflict many of you are experiencing. You need to do what's right for you and I will respect and honour that. But I can't have any part in any of this anymore.

I am begging cis allies and cis people to WAKE UP to the fact that this violence is continuing to escalate. Between JKR, Florida, Idaho, Texas... bigots are taking away our rights, our freedom, and our safety. Stand up before we lose more of our family.

Thank you again for being here. But it's time for me to sign off - because some trans 🏳️‍⚧️ and queer 🏳️‍🌈 kid out there needs to hear from me, and to know that they are valid and valued and loved. So I'm going to do that - but with my own stories, not hers.

Take care of yourselves. Much love to all of you. ❤🧡💛💚💙💜
Sydney