chapter 4

song of the chapter: memories by maroon 5

---

chapter 4

Winter was at home, sitting on her bead and catching up with her homework that she didn't have time to complete in class. She heard her phone going off every few minutes but she ignored it, trying to focus on the essay she had to finish before the week was up. She was listening to her music, but it was beginning to get cut off since her phone kept buzzing.

Annoyed, she picked up the phone and wasn't surprised with what she saw. She already knew what they had to say this time.

Opening up her Instagram, she saw her DM's were flooded by a group chat she always swore to not open. It consisted of Kai, Christian, Isaiah, and Bianca. They went out of their way to add her to a group chat where mostly Kai and Christian would blatantly bully her and call her names.

She never told anyone about the group chat, including Mateo and Jason, because she knew it would just make everything worse.

Mateo almost got expelled once after punching Christian in her stomach. Winter managed to save him by saying it was self defense and that they were picking on her. Mateo got off with a warning, but Christian and the other three were completely free to go.

It angered Winter a lot, but she knew there wasn't much she could do since the principal seemed to have personal ties with Christian, and it let the four get away with a lot of things.

She glanced at the messages popping up on her phone, and she felt really tempted to open the chat. Her thumb hovered over the conversation that kept blinking as new messages kept coming through. After pressing the conversation, she immediately regretted it.

There were in no way filtered when it came to the internet. Threats upon threats kept coming up on the screen. And all of them were from Christian and Kai. It was always just those two.

Usually she would be able to handle little names and slurs, and her most popular one, "hoe." But mixed with threats about how if she told anyone, they would "expose her."

Her family didn't know about the bullying. She felt too embarrassed about the fact that she was such a loser, and she didn't want to disappoint her family. Home to her was her safe haven, and even though there were times she couldn't stand some of her family members, she still knew there was nowhere she'd rather be.

"Winnie, we're here!" She heard the familiar voice of her best friend from downstairs and knew they would be upstairs in any second if she didn't come down. So she shut off her phone and left her room, hoping no one would suspect anything.

-----