chapter 21

song of the chapter: pete davidson by ariana grande

---

chapter 21

"Isaiah!" Winter called after him, and saw how he and Bianca stopped in their steps, glancing back at the pink haired guy.

A small smile began pulling at Isaiah's lips. "Hey, soulmate."

Winter pushed back the fluttering feeling in her stomach. "D-Don't call me that."

Bianca was watching their interaction with a smile, and Winter narrowed her eyes at her slightly. Isaiah must've told her since she didn't look confused. Okay, this is weird...

"Did..." Winter tried to catch her breath, "Did you do that to him? Kai?"

"Do what?" Isaiah asked innocently, shoving his hands in his pockets as he looked down at the smaller.

Winter frowned and glanced at the two. "Hurt him. Did you hurt Kai?"

Isaiah looked at Bianca who just shrugged.

Isaiah looked back at Winter. "Why are you asking? Did he say something to you?"

"No." She said suspiciously, noticing the way Isaiah stood a bit taller. "It's because.. I don't want people fighting my battles for me."

Isaiah frowned. "But you never even stood up for yourself."

"Of course you would know, you had me shoved against a locker most of the time." Winter didn't know why she was getting so riled up.

Isaiah just looked down after those words, a guilty expression on his face, and Winter sort of felt bad.

"I apologized for that already." Isaiah said shortly.

Winter just frowned. She was really starting to dislike this whole soulmate thing. It messed up everything!

Sure, her parent's fell in love at "first sight" but that didn't happen for everyone. She had to stop thinking life would be easy like it was for her parents.

Winter heard footsteps behind her and registered it as her two friends considering they called out to her. But she kept looking at Isaiah who stood with his hand in his pocket.

"Why did you freak out when you realized we were soulmates?"

Isaiah scratched the back of his head and shifted on his feet. It was obvious he was uncomfortable, but the determined look on Winter's face showed he wasn't about to back down.

"You - you wouldn't understand." Isaiah replied and Winter just looked down at the floor.

Maybe... maybe this soulmate stuff was just.. stupid. He didn't know why he was thinking like this. Weeks ago, he was all about love and stuff, but now, it just seems so artificial.

"Winnie, everything okay?" She heard Mateo's voice that was a little hostile. He crossed his arms as he looked at the two guys he still wasn't very fond of.

"Yeah." Winter turned around. "Let's just go back."

Winter just walked away and back into the cafeteria, his two friends glaring at the ex-bullies before going after the pink haired girl.

---