chapter 20

song of the chapter:  what you did by ella mai

———

chapter 20

The rest of the day was... awkward. Her classmates that used to simply ignore him seemed to turn around and glance at her several times.

The first few ones, Winter didn't think much of it, but it happened in every class. Every single one.

Winter just kept her head down, and Jason or Mateo was always there to defend her when someone said something.

French class was... interesting. Isaiah was actually paying attention to the lesson instead of being on his phone the entire time. He even had a conversation with her, and used her name which she wasn't used to.

"Winter." Isaiah nudged the girl's arm and she glanced at him with a shocked expression.

"Yes?" She asked a bit nervously.

"Do you know what this means?" Isaiah slid his paper over towards Winter, not noticing the way her hands began to shake slightly when Isaiah moved closer to her.

He was close, so close that Winter could smell the lingering scent of coffee, and wow did it make her thirsty.

Winter looked down at the paper, seeing how Isaiah held it with his fingers. They were covered in black rings, about four on each hand.

They were so pretty, and the longer Winter looked at it, the more detail he saw, like the little moon shaped one.

Winter shook her head and focused back on the paper, gulping slightly. The entire paper was empty. What was he doing the past hour then?

Winter furrowed her eyebrows and looked at the first question. "Um, so this just says to categorize the foods in what group they belong in."

There was silence, and so Winter glanced back up at Isaiah, only to see the other boy had been watching her the entire time. She quickly looked back down and her shoulder tensed a bit when she saw Isaiah's hand move around the paper.

"So what are these?" He asked curiously.

Winter gulped, suddenly feeling her throat go dry. "This side is for healthy foods and this one is unhealthy."

Winter pointed to the two boxes that were on the sheet. Isaiah sighed but nodded.

"Seems useless but thanks." Isaiah moved back to his space and Winter felt like he could breathe again.

When lunch rolled around, Winter felt so hungry that she dug right into her french fries when she sat at their usual table. Mateo was already there with his girlfriend, Monica, while Winter and Jason walked there together.

"Holy crap - " Jason said out of nowhere and Winter looked up at him from her phone.

"What?" She asked, munching on another fry.

That was when she saw it, or him to be precise. Kai, his bully for years now, was sitting on the other side of the cafeteria as usual.

But this time, he was wearing a nasty bruise, which could be considered a black eye, and it was purplish, since Kai was extremely pale already. Winter gasped aloud and he dropped his fry on his lap.

At first, she thought it was Mateo, who was looking at Kai with a satisfied smirk.

"Tae, what did I tell you - "

Then, just as she was about to blow up on his friend, she saw Isaiah walking past her table, but directly in his line of sight.

He was walking alongside Bianca. Maybe it was just Winter, but she noticed something different about him. His headband... it was pink, which she didn't remember him wearing earlier. Isaiah never usually wore colors, only sticking to the shades of black, grey, or white.

But here he was, black jeans with a loose white shirt, and a pink Nike headband holding back his jet black hair. Just when Winter was about to look away and act as if she wasn't checking out her soulmate, she and Isaiah made eye contact.

It wasn't a normal one. After two people made unintentional eye contact, both persons usually look away almost instantly.

But it wasn't like that this time, at least not with Isaiah. He purposely looked in Winter's direction. And there was a glint in his eyes, one that just screamed throuble.

Winter saw Isaiah's lips moving, and managed to catch the words he was saying before he finished.

You're welcome.

Winter narrowed her eyes in confusion. But Isaiah only continued to walk away, smirking as he did so. As he moved from Winter's vision, she began to see the bruised Kai Park who sat with a scowl on his face.

Christian was trying to touch Kai's eye, perhaps checking up on him, but Kai only pushed him away, and Winter saw the frown he struggled to keep off his face.

"Did Isaiah..." Jason trailed off, seeing the interaction between the former and his best friend.

"If he did, he's earned my respect." A voice said, and Winter saw Mateo laughing as he looked at his girlfriend.

Before Winter realized what she was doing, she got out of her seat and ran after the pink headband wearing boy.

———