Chapter Two

A/N: my friend aymee helped me a ton with this chapter, as did all my friends in dms. i'm looking forward to making better content in the future :> hope you like this, and thank you so much for 100+ views!

"What do you think you were doing?" She snapped, one finger up, pointing at the roof like I was a puppy who needed training. Her face was turning red. I didn't know what the problem was; sitting there, dumbfounded, unsure of what to do seemed to make her madder. I've never seen my mom this mad - and that's saying something, seeing as being happy doesn't run in our family. "Listen, George, we're devils. Not idiots who don't know what the word no is! We live segregated from angels for a reason - we're different, we're opposites, we don't get along, we're not compatible. And we sure as hell don't go around acting like each other! Do you hear me? Do you even understand why I'm telling you this?"

I don't even remember how she found out I was 'acting like an angel'. All I thought I was being was respectful.. That was probably the problem, now that I think about it.

"Don't just sit there like you don't know what I'm talking about! You need to stop this behavior immediately! You're a devil, living in a devil's world. Someday you're going to grow up and move out, and acting like an angel isn't going to get you a job!" She basically yelled again. This broke me out of my trance. I glared at her.

I wanted to snap. A rant formed in my head. Devils are stupid. This whole concept is stupid. Feelings are stupid. I didn't ask to be born so imperfect. Why is feeling happiness or remorse something to be scolded for? Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.

All I could manage was, "I'll be home late tonight, your Majesty." And I stormed out. Somehow, I felt like my angry behavior was a relief to her. But she didn't understand. She didn't hear my heart pounding or see my hand shaking as I grabbed my keys and jacket in one swift movement, the door making a click as I shut it behind me. I didn't know whether to scold her or myself.

A flipped the hood over my stupid devils' horns and started walking.

Where to? Who cares. Away from her, away from this stupid part of town, away from anyone who will tell me I'm wrong for doing something right. Away from anything that reminds me of me. I didn't even realize that I was walking towards the angel's side. Things got more pleasant - going from sleek and modern but worn from the devils' side and into brick buildings of the small town in the middle. I didn't come here often - for food, like the other day, or for the cute little store with good candy. Otherwise I stick to the side I have to stick to, even if it gets boring. I've never even minded enough to sneak a glance at the angel's side around that one corner. That one corner where angels come out of in the morning and disappear into again as the sun sets, as there were far more angels in the middle than devils.

I sighed, walking alone, everyone was at school or work at this time of day. Luckily I had glasses hidden away in the pocket of my jacket or my eyes would be yelling at me.

It's funny how much calmer I felt when I was away from other people. With others I'd get yelled at, laughed at, confused at how no one else sees how toxic they're being. Alone was quiet.

The corner to the angel's side was calling my name. I couldn't stop glancing back, guessing what could lay behind that one sharp turn.

"What do you mean, SORRY?" A boy laughed at me, a group of girls around us. One of them had pretty black hair. I liked her hair. "Devils don't say sorry! You said sorry!"

I shook my head, the corner to the angel's world growing closer by the step. I hesitated, crossing the street. I didn't really want to go to the angel's side.. There's nothing there.