~𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫~

~

It was far past midnight. The band had picked up, three-quarters of the townsfolk who had shown up were already gone, leaving to wind down for the night.

So then where was she?

Sci gulped to himself. Though his trademark soft grin was frozen on his face, his hands shook, clenched into tight fists.

Yet he stayed so still. His still, calm posture could fool anyone, so long as you didn't look at his hands.

Blue definitely hadn't noticed, as he stood next to his higher-up. He snacked on a plate of chocolate-covered strawberries as he bounced up and down as if his tiny little body couldn't contain the cheeriness coursing through his body. Sure, the princess was missing, but Sci just seemed so calm! Surely if he wasn't nervous about the situation, he shouldn't be, right?

(Y/N) had been teleported to asgore knows where almost an hour ago. No signs of her still being on the castle grounds had been found.

And the civilians were dancing. Laughing. Drinking. It was almost as if only Sci could see the guards running back and forth through the castle, searching through every nook and cranny in the palace.

For all they knew, (Y/N) was already in the next kingdom over, being locked away in some tower.

They hadn't even found the alleged brothers. It was too late. They hadn't prepared enough for this. It was all Sci's fault. He would never see his daughter again, and their bond had just become the strongest it had ever been.

How could he be so stupid? Did he really think this villain would give him time to prepare against his attack?

Sci heaved lightly, light tears pricking the corners of his eye sockets. Taking in a deep inhale, he looked up slightly, pushing the stream of tears back away.

"SCI? ARE YOU ALRIGHT?"

He froze, craning his neck down to look at his short friend. Blue was a solid two feet shorter than the advisor, being abnormally small, not just for a monster, but for a human as well.

Blue's records that were collected when he was hired as a guardsman state that he stands at 5'1", but looking at him, he seemed to be 4'10" at the tallest. He must've lied to make his height less shocking, though 5'1" wasn't much better in comparison.

"Hm? Oh, I'm just fine, thanks. This spring weather takes a hit on my allergies."

Blue simply nodded and returned to his joyful bouncing and strawberry-snacking, but not before giving Sci a calculated glance.

Sci let out a heavy breath, closing his eyes to feel a light, wet sensation between his non-existent eyelids.

This was really it, huh? She was gone. Never to be seen again. He considered for a moment calling off the guards and sending the remaining villagers home so he could return to his quarters and let out his bottled up emotions before he had to figure out what they're going to do about their endangered govern-

"Sci!"

Oh, great. He was already starting to hear her voice in his head. It was almost like she was still there.

"Sci, hey!"

....That one sounded....oddly realistic.

"Hey, I'm talking to you, silly!"

Sci turned his head towards the sound of her voice, his eye sockets being treated to the site of his lost princess running up to him as she dragged what seemed like some helpless, stunned skeleton behind her.