Chapter 12

The next morning I wake up to my alarm blaring at 6:00 a.m. Liam had offered to give me a ride to school during this whole tutoring deal, so I hit snooze for fifteen minutes, knowing I don't have to walk to the bus stop. I finally am able to get my butt out of bed, and get dressed in a short-sleeved crop top, and high waisted leggings because right now, I am freaking feeling myself.

I headed downstairs, and stick a cinnamon-raisin bagel in the toaster. As I am scrolling through my phone and waiting for it to pop up, my dad enters the kitchen. At this point, I kind of figured everything is back to normal though. I mean, I'm still pretty pissed, and things are still strained, but the two of us are very good at pretending.

He nods at me as he walks over yawning, to start toasting his own bagel. Mine is finally done, and I began the cream cheese spreading process when I notice my dad staring at my arm. Shit! I had forgotten to wear long sleeves. This kind of attention was honestly the last thing I needed. He wasn't saying anything though, and I was grateful. I hurriedly finished the bagel, and headed out to the front porch, telling my dad that I was going to catch the bus, so I had an excuse to get the heck out of there. I ended up just sitting on the front porch again, waiting for Liam. I consider running back inside to get a jacket, but I don't want to risk seeing my dad again.

When Liam finally shows up ten minutes later as per usual, I am relieved to get out of there. I hop in, and as we drive, look out the window, just thinking. Not just thinking, but overthinking. About pretty much everything. Overthinking about my relationships, school, grades, and my effed up brain.I think Liam could tell something was wrong, because he doesn't try and make me talk like he usually does.\

We are about half way to school when the tears start to fall. I try everything I can to hold them in, but I just can't First, it's just a few, and then it's a waterfall. A haywire hose that I can't turn off. So there I am. Bawling in the front seat of the most popular kid in school, a guy I barely even knew mind you, and him awkwardly trying to comfort me, but obviously having absolutely no idea what was wrong in the first place. When we finally pull into the parking lot, my face is swollen and red, and I am absolutely mortified, and very dehydrated.

Liam puts the car in park and pulls out the key, but neither of us get out. This is probably not what he signed up for. I wouldn't even be surprised if he cut off the deal completely. Then we finally look at eachother.

"Kelsi, what's wrong," he asks. He sounds genuinely concerned.

"Nothing, I'm just being overdramatic," I replied, even though I know it sounds lame considering the fact that I just spent the last five minutes bawling in his car. I take a deep breathe, and wipe my face with my hands, slowly exhaling. That's when Liam notices my arms. How stupid can I be?.Just like my dad he dosent't say anything, what is he supposed to say. But he does something even more awkward. Something that makes me just want to dig a hole in the middle of nowhere and be buried myself alive. He grabs my arm gently, and traces the scars with his fingers. That sends chills up my spine. But instead of questioning me about them, he simply squeezed my hand and said, " It's going to be OK," and in that moment, I think that was all I really needed.I took one more deep breathe, and was finally ready to face the world again.