fairylights and flower crowns (MeiLuka)

Requested by That One Kid (2021)

oh boy i know who that is kjkgfh (2022)

Everything was beautiful that day. The sun had just gone down, and the grass was sprinkled with dew. The moon was full, the clouds were few and far between, and the stars shone brightly on the night she said 'I love you'.

After dinner, Luka didn't want to say goodbye. The night was so beautiful, the flowers could still be seen in full bloom, and she wanted an excuse to hold Meiko's hand even longer.

The two of them left the restaurant together and made their way to the park, slipping through the forest as quietly as mice. They found Luka's favorite place in the world- a small clearing surrounded by trees. Flowers were everywhere, and it was right by the riverbank. There was a small path where you could go down and sit on a rock, dangling your toes into the rushing river below.

As soon as they reached the meadow, Meiko started collecting flowers. She picked them one by one, making sure the stems were long, and fashioned them into a band as Luka watched. Then, a gentle red blush coloring her cheeks, she lifted the crown up and placed it on the pinkette's head. "I think the most beautiful flower should have a crown to show for it, don't you agree?" she asked as she took her hand.

Luka felt a smile slip onto her face, and her cheeks heated up with a blush. She pulled the brunette forward gently, tiptoeing down the path and sitting down on the rock. Moments later, she felt an arm wrap around her as her girlfriend sat down beside her.

It had been serious, all that time. They'd gone on dates at least once a week, texted each other every day. Just the sight of the other would make them blush. The three words that slipped out of Luka's mouth next made Meiko realize that.

"I love you," she'd whispered, leaning over gently and resting her head on the brunette's shoulder. Meiko gently squeezed her arm, and kissed her hair where the flowers were.

"I love you too," she whispered in return. She felt her eyes close, hearing nothing but Luka's soft breathing and the gentle sound of the river. Feeling nothing but Luka's head on her shoulder and the two of them connected by their hands, their hearts, their minds.

However, all good things must come to an end.

The pinkette yawned, as she had started to fall asleep. She pulled herself to her feet, saying she had to get home, and the words slipped out from Meiko's lips.

"Stay over at my apartment."

It caught Luka off guard, but she nodded, a light shade of pink coloring her cheeks again. They let their hands come together again, fingers intertwining as their footsteps matched each other on the way out.

Meiko's apartment was on the edge of town, in a pretty old building with a rooftop garden. The door opened quietly and the two of them made their way up to the third floor, into apartment 35.

"If you want to borrow my pajamas, go ahead," Meiko said as she went into the bathroom to change.

Luka did. She pulled on an old T-shirt and a pair of pajama shorts, and looked around the room while she waited for the brunette to return. It was a simple room- cozy-looking bed, small desk, little closet with barely enough room to put her clothes in. A few movie posters, and a signed photo of a band she'd never heard of. But the thing that stood out to her the most was the string of what looked like tiny lights that wrapped around the walls. She stepped closer to them, thinking about how they worked, when the lights turned off and the tiny ones turned on.

"I thought you might like these if you ever saw them," Meiko chuckled as she walked in. "They always remind me of you...fairylights, little ones. Like your adorable little smiles, they light up the room."

Turning around, Luka laughed as she rushed to her girlfriend and wrapped her arms around her, standing on her tiptoes to kiss her. She felt warm inside as the brunette kissed back, as they held onto each other.

All good things come to an end, but sometimes one good thing comes right after the last.

They ended up in the bed, cuddling together and staring at those little lights. To Luka, they lit up the room like stars. Like how every time she noticed Meiko in a room, it seemed brighter. She loved that feeling.

It took them forever to fall asleep, despite being so tired. But they did. They fell asleep curled up in each other's arms, the blankets keeping them warm just as much as each other.

Neither of them ever forgot that night, the first time they said "I love you."

The first time it meant so much for either of them.

The first time they said "I love you" to the person they'd be spending the rest of their lives with, without even realizing it.

The beginning of something beautiful.