Chapter 7

Sorry this took so long. I haven't really read this though so sorry about mistakes.

Matthew returned with two drinks.

"one ginger ale" Matthew sat down opposite her and placed her drink in front of her.

"thank you" she clutched the drink with both hands but didn't drink it.

Matthew had something which smelled strongly of alcohol. Lucie assumed it was gin of some kind. He drank it quickly.

"what do you think of the band" Matthew asked

"they're good"

"yeah, perfect for a wedding."

"oh they are going to have such a wonderful wedding. Its such a shame."

"It is. Cordelia should marry someone who loves her."

Lucie felt her heart sink. She agreed with him, she wanted Cordelia to be happy with someone who loved her. Was it selfish to not want that person to be Matthew.

"James was just trying to protect her." It was true James only wanted to protect her reputation.

"Yes that is what he keeps saying,"

"what are you implying, Matthew"

"Nothing dear Lucie, now finish your drink"

Lucie didn't appreciate being told what to do and purposely drank her drink slower. But she was worried for Matthew he love James more than anyone else. She wished she could know what he was thinking.

"So the band won't finish until eleven so we might as well make the most of the night until then." Matthew was fidgeting with his glass as he spoke. "any new stories you're writing"

"Well Cruel prince James is getting married" Lucie replied

"and let me guess, the marriage is a sham"

Lucie laughed "Not exactly."

"not exactly? Well do tell. I am intrigued"

"you'll have to wait till its finsihed" Lucie smiled "like everyone else"

"okay then, if your not going to talk, do you want to dance?"

Matthew stood up and reached his hand out to Lucie. She felt her heart rate increase. She couldn't speak so she accepted his hand. There wasn't a lot of space in the bar to dance but they moved closer to the band where there was an area clear of tables. A few other people were already dancing there. When they reached the space Matthew places his hand on Lucie back. The feeling was comforting. She reached up to his shoulder. She couldn't make eye contact with him.