Chapter Thirty Five: Why Are You Doing This?

I FUCKING PHYSICALLY CRIED, GUYS! I CRIED! I NEVER CRY PHYSICALLY! ONLY INTERNALLY! Oh, then I laughed hysterically.

(Mentions of rape in this chapter I guess sort of)

Percy

At the end of July, I ran out of anti-depressant pills. I picked up some more that morning. I had mostly kept to myself for the past few weeks because I knew that the only people that were really willing to talk to me were Jason, my Mom, and Annie.

"Dad? You're doing that thing again. You're staring off into space and it's weird." Annie said from behind me. I jumped.

"Oh, yeah. Sorry. What's up?" I turned around.

"Are you taking drugs?"  she held up my empty bottle of anti-depressants. I laughed and shook my head.

"No, Annie-Bear. Well, sort of. They're good drugs. Medicine. To help me feel better."

"You're sick?"

"I'm not sick. It's...kind of a thing in my brain, I guess." she nodded.

"Can we make blue cookies? That always makes people happy." I gave a small smile.

"I agree. What music this time?"

"I'll surprise you." she swiped my phone from the counter and started typing in things. I got out all the ingredients, and a song I didn't really recognize came on.

"What song is this?" I asked casually.

"It's called Before He Cheats, I think it's by Carrie Underwood. Rosalie recommended it. I sighed and held onto the counter. The sheer irony of this.

"Sounds like an," I paused, clearing my throat. "Amazing song."

"You don't like it, do you?" I looked up to see Annie trying not to laugh. "Because I hate it. I don't know how Annabeth and Rosalie like this stuff. What happened to them, anyway? They haven't come around for a while." I wanted to smack my head against the wall at the mention of her name. I really messed up.

"We...broke up," I said bluntly. Annie didn't seem surprised.

"Oh. That's not good. I was asking because Rosie is asking Annabeth if we can go over to hang out." she put the flour in the mix.

"Oh really." we were silent, listening to the music. Once the cookies went in the oven, we sat in the living room on the couch. "What movie do you want to watch?"

"How about The Parent Trap? I think both versions are on Disney+." she smiled up at me.

"New or old?"

"New." I turned on the 1994 version of The Parent Trap. It's a pretty good movie. The beginning reminded me of the summer camp Annabeth and I went to when we were twelve. Annabeth. Annabeth. Lately, she was everywhere. Hell, when I was in Walmart I passed a girl with short brown hair and I started thinking about how Annabeth had brown hair for a few weeks. Eventually, she hated it and demanded that she bleached her hair back to its normal blonde. A knock on the door pulled me out of my thoughts. I got up to answer it.

"This happens every time we make cookies, doesn't it?" Annie laughed. I opened the door. Standing there was a panting Rosie.

"I-I need help." she panted.

"Wait–hold up. First, how did you get here? It's ten miles from your house."

"I ran, duh. Now I need help. I was at Nate's house and Mom was supposed to come to get me three hours ago. She won't answer her phone, and I told Nate's mom that I would meet her on the sidewalk so I could get out of there. She's a hippie. Anyway, their house was a few streets over so I was wondering if I could get a ride back home please?"