This Moment • Part 1

I am in love with my best friend.

Cliché, isn't it?

Then guess what, I have some BIG news for you : my whole freaking life is cliché.

Sadly not the I'm-the-blonde-cheerleader-and-the-whole-school-loves-me-except-my-best-friend kind of cliché. In fact, it's the very opposite.

It's the I'm-a-totally-normal-girl-but-I'm-in-love-with-my-hot-best-friend kind.

Pathetic? I know.

I spend most of my time daydreaming about him because although he's always just a step away, it definitely felt like he was universes away.

I'm not even kidding.

"Did you know? Constellations that are visible in both hemispheres may appear upside down in the Southern Hemisphere, " Kian said.

We were lying on our backs and looking up at the ceiling of his bedroom on which we'd painted with a whole constellation of stars back when we were thirteen.

"Then did you know that Orion is in the southwest sky if you are in the Northern Hemisphere or the northwestern sky if you are in the Southern Hemisphere?" I challenged.

"Aha, I didn't know that one," he said and I smirked with pride.

Yes, we speak to each other in alien language. Problem?

And no, we are not nerds. We just share the love for stars, that's all. Though I'll admit that I googled facts sometimes just to impress Kian.

Our mutual love for stars was the reason we met in the first place. We were seven and we were in the same playground, moving our telescopes back-to-back till we hit each other. And that's how we clicked.

Yes, I did tell you that my life is cliché didn't I?

"Come on," he said, getting up, "Eleanor should be here any minute now."

I know how that might've sounded to you, but I thank God that no, Eleanor is not Kian's beautiful blond cheerleader girlfriend, though my life is cliché and all.

When we got out, Eleanor's crying greeted us. Eleanor is Kian's three-year-old sister with his adorable features and even personality. I just love this girl.

"Hey, Eleanor," Kian said as his mother handed Eleanor over to him.

"Bro-brother," she said, smiling.

Once, Kian had very proudly told me that the first word Eleanor learnt wasn't 'mum' or even 'dad'. It was 'bro', only it had been pronounced wrongly as 'blo', but it meant brother all the same.

Kian didn't know that, of course, but if I was the baby with such an adorable big brother, I would learn his name and how to describe his eyes, his nose and his perfect features in all first before I even learn abc.

No, not kidding.

"Oh yeah, Jewel? I've got news that there's this meteor shower passing us by this weekend!" Kian said, his eyes glinting as they always did when he talked about astrology. "Watch it together from your place, yeah?"

"No kidding?" I asked. It's the chance of a lifetime, and watching it together with Kian would only make it a zillion times better than it already was.

"No kidding," he said. "You up for it?"

"Sure," I said with a grin, "I wouldn't miss it for the world."