45 Why I Like You

Listen to Love Again by Dua Lipa

Diane Jewel

I stood outside Simon's door, nervously waiting for him to open the door.  

I can't believe I got myself drunk before meeting Simon.  I sobered up by swigging two cups of coffee.  Above that, I can't believe I sat on an unknown man's lap for a piece of money.  Even if those five bucks can buy me dinner.  There's no kind of coffee that would undo that. 

Simon's smile reached his eyes when he opened the door.  My stomach swirled with butterflies at his sight.  The silver in his eyes twinkled when he said, "Hey, girlfriend!" 

His contagious smile slowly infected me, making me smile too.  "Hey, boyfriend.  I bought us pizza."

"Ah!  Thank God!" he heaved.  "I'm starving."

"And a rose," I nervously muttered, lifting my hand to show the red rose I held.  

Simon's lips parted as his eyes fell on it.  "Oh my God, Dy?  Really?" he asked, taking it from me.  

I blushed.  "Don't make me feel embarrassed," I frowned, shuffling past him inside. 

 Before I could jump on the cosy-looking couch though, Simon caught my hand and twirled me around, his eyes gazing at me with adoration.  "Thanks, Dy!"  

In the sudden proximity of his burning body, I held my breath.  I hung my head, sheepishly.  "I just wanted to make you smile."

"Wait!" he said as if he'd just noticed something.  "You're wearing makeup?"  

I nodded as his intoxicating scent consumed me.  "Are you going to tell me that I don't need makeup to be beautiful?" I laughed wrapping my arms around his shoulder.  

Simon examined my face again before shaking his head.  "No!  This is hot.  And that lipstick better be smudge-proof, 'cause I'm going to-"

I snorted, stopping his sentence.  "Kiss me?  Remember you promised me you won't touch me today?" My expression was laughingly challenging.

He shot me a cocky, defiant glance before leaning in to peck my lips.  "I lied."

I gasped in fake shock.  "You Liar! How dare you?"   

We both burst out laughing as we fell on the couch.  Simon placed the rose carefully on a table before his hand quickly reached for mine.  And it felt so natural.  I looked down at our intertwined fingers, my heart stuttering at the feel of his skin.  My eyes travelled to his face that was deeply examining me.  "Dy, if you really want me us to just talk, I am okay with that." 

Smiling, I leaned on his shoulder.  "Okay."  Simon's arms wrapped around me possessively and we stayed like that for a while.  I felt his heart softly beating on his chest.  His eyes fell down on my face every two seconds as if he couldn't stop looking at me.        

Everything about Simon made me smile.  Everything about him melted me a little. 

I nestled my face in the nook of his neck and inhaled his addicting scent.  Simon stiffened.  I breathed him in again.