Chapter 8

Enoch was shaking.

He was angry.

 Emma had given away Lily's location. 

If Jake had just stayed home, his love wouldn't currently be in the clutches of that monster.

But Enoch felt two other emotions. The first was failure, he couldn't keep her safe like he said he would. He promised nothing would happen to her, that she wouldn't get hurt again.

He also felt determined though. He wouldn't let the Hollows get away with this and was determined to save the girl he loved.

Jake was the first person to speak, " It's getting dark! You won't even be able to see their shadows! We have to stay inside. It's the only place we stand a chance"

Miss Avocet was next to add, "He's quite right. Now where does Miss Peregrine keep her weapons?" 

Putting is anger aside in hopes to stay alive long enough to save Lily, Enoch pointed to a room behind him while glancing between Emma and Jake, "In there".

The three teens left in search for Miss Peregrines crossbow and other tools they could use to fight the Hollow while Miss Avocet and the rest of the children began barricading windows and blocking doors.

It wasn't long before the daily phone call had rung, but Emma suggested Jake be the one to answer the call. 

Not long after, the children were lined up with gardening tools to defend themselves, facing the Ymbryne who stood before them with the crossbow.

"Children, now that you're all here, there's a few rules. Your primary job is to stay safe. Leave the Hollow to me - I don't want to see any heroics" Miss Avocet said, "Now, those of you with garden tools, I must insist that you-"

She never got to finish her sentence.

A Hollow had broke through the window and grabbed the Ymbryne, who dropped the crossbow in shock as she was dragged through the window and killed just as quickly.

The children screamed in shock and fright, but Jake was quick to run forward in attempt to grab the crossbow. Once it was in his grasp, he lied on his side underneath the table, waiting for the Hollow to appear.

Enoch noticed that Jake got up and had begun to back away, and without much thinking, he ran in front of Jake.

"No, Enoch, get back!" Jake yelled, but before said boy could run, the table in front of him had been flipped and he was picked up by the Hollow before being repeatedly slammed against the walls.

Jake had the crossbow pointed at the Hollow but was too scared to accidentally hit Enoch.

"Just shoot, Jake!" Emma had yelled, "I'm trying!" Jake argued, "Go! Get to the attic!"

Emma and Olive had quickly started to round the children out of the room and towards the attic.

Jake had finally pulled the trigger and Enoch was dropped to the floor. 

"Let's get out of here!"

The children all ran up the stairs to the attic, not sure where to go from there. "Crap, it's almost reset!" Jake said while leaning out the window.

"Fiona, is there anything you can do with that tree?" Jake said while pointing to a tree close to the house. "Yes!" she said quickly before getting ready to jump out the window.

"Be careful" Jake warned before turning to the others as Fiona landed on the edge of the roof, "We're going through the windows. Let's go! Quickly!"

Emma and Olive were once again helping the children as they got them ready and out the window. The Hollow could be heard attempting to climb into the attic, trying to reach the children.

Only Emma and Jake were left as the children made their way across the extended branch, the two teens trying to prevent the Hollow from getting through the window.

As Enoch and the other children finally made it down the tree, they watched as Emma unstrapped her lead boots, jumping and floating with Jake away from the house as the bombs finally dropped.

And they watched their house burst into flames.

Lily was shaking.

They had reached Blackpool Tower and Miss Peregrine was locked in with the other Ymbrynes. Lily wasn't that far though.

Just like in Horace's dream, there she was, tied to a chair as the machine extracted her blood.

All she could do was Pray Enoch would find her.