Chapter 17: Making up

I was back at work and of course Ravi chewed my head off about my unapproved week vacation. He took out of my pay and cut me an hour short. I was walking on eggshells with this man. 

"Dammit. That's the second one today." I muttered as a wine bottle came crashing down with a shattering echo onto the marbled floor behind me.

I stepped off the stepping stool I was on and bent down to see which bottle it was. I sighed in relief when I read the label. 'Shutter Home' was spread across the bottle in dark bold letters. This wasn't an expensive brand so luckily Ravi wouldn't chew my head off that much, even though it wasn't my fault at all. He didn't care, ever since I came back, lately, everything that happens here is my fault now. Whatever.

"Fuck man. Now I gotta hear his mouth" I said picking up the liquid covered shards and pieces of glass and moving them to the side to separate them from the spilled wine that was now creating a puddle around my converse clad feet. 

"What happened? You okay?" I heard a deep voice chuckle behind me. I turned, and Damien's tanned skin complexion gave into view, along with his crooked smile and his messy bed hair. He was wiping his hand on a miniature blue towel and looking at me with furrowed brows.

"Yeah, I'm okay. This glass ain't though." I said turning my attention back to the mess that was created seconds ago, my long honey blonde ponytail slapping me in the face during the process.

Damien chuckled at my attempt to make a joke out of the situation and crouched down beside me.

"Again? You gotta be careful with these things B. Mess around and leave you here for a day all by yourself , you'll have the whole damn store tumbling down." He said taking the glass pieces and placing them inside the blue towel he had.

"Shutup!" I said laughing and slapping his arm. He chuckled and took the glass from my hands and wrapped it in the towel along with the rest of it.

"Aight I got this B. You can get back to stacking. I'll replace it too. I know you need a break from mean ass old man Vi" He said reffering to the wine that was spilled all over the floor and Ravi.

"Okay thanks. I owe you." I said stepping back up on the stool to continue inventory. He nodded in response and left out of the aisle to go find a mop.

-------

"Alright bye Damien." I yelled throughout the store as I locked up the register and stuck the key in my bag. Ravi, and I were the only two people besides his younger brother who had a key to this thing. He didn't trust anyone else. It was weird how he trusted me with his money though, being that he never forgets to remind me how "irresponsible" I am. Maybe Ravi isn't such an old saggy prune anyway.

"Nah." I said aloud and shook my head at the ridiculous thought. Of course he was.

"You leaving?" Damien had poked his head around the corner of an aisle holding a crate of beers, and vodkas.

"Yeah, lock up when you're done." I said looking at him.

"Nah, I'm not staying till closing time. Melissa or Tay's gonna lock up." Damien said reffering to our other two colleagues.

    Tay had been here for as long as I had, he had a year under his belt here when I came. But he was nineteen going on twenty when I started, he taught me a lot of things about Ravi. Melissa was a new girl. I guess Ravi decided to hire her over my week break. She didn't really say much and wore black everyday faithfully. Her skin looked like it could use some vitamin D, it was pale and colorless. The beach would definitely do her some justice. She seemed kinda off and weird to me but I wasn't the boss so what did my opinion matter?