Chapter 6

Needless to say I didn't have a great night. I barely slept 5 hours.
I woke up with the anxiety. I checked my pulse, 136 bpm.
I have a habit of checking my pulse every time I feel restless or anxious.

I feel a bunch of emotions all at once. Anxiety because.. well I have generalised anxiety disorder. I worry about everything. Also it may or may not have to do with the fact that I will have to face my childhood bully again. The person I hated the most in the world.
Scared, if things will go wrong way.
Excited, for my new college and the new friends I made.

The only thing that works at time like this is distracting my mind. But today, I don't know how exactly I can distract myself. Since the only thing I can do is get ready for my first day of college.
I sit on my bed cross legs, do the breathing exercises. It helps a little but the knot in my stomach is still there. And I know it will stay there for a while now.

"Wakey wakey little birdie." I hear a familiar friendly sound on my door, knocking.
I hear Rose's laughter from outside as well.
"Stop you dumbass. This doesn't suit you."

"What do you mean? I can be sweet sometimes.", says Maya.
I get up quickly and open it.
"Rise and shine sweetie. Did you sleep well? I hope you did." She says with both her hands clasped together to her heart, really sweetly and with huge smile on her face.
I just look at her weird because this Maya is..

Rose just laughs and drags her towards bathroom.
"Leave her alone. We get it you're excited for the day. Stop harassing people.", Rose laughs and shakes her head at me.
"We're leaving for campus in 30 minutes. Get ready. Hurry. This bitch here can't wait anymore apparently." Rose tells me.

30 minutes? The classes don't start until 9. And it's only 7:10.

I shrug it and do what I was asked for. They are my new friends. They accepted me and want me to hangout with them so.. why not?

I do my morning routine and get ready.
By the time it's 7:30 Maya rushes in my room, "Dude seriously. Hurryyyyyyyy." And grabs my bag and one of the shoes I'm about to put on.
"Oh c'mon. Maya. Stop acting like a toddler. She actually is ready to go. Give her shoe back." Rose says and laughs.

I and Rose run after Maya to get my other shoe.
"You can put it on on the way. Stop being tardy. We don't accept that behaviour here. We expect best from our students." Maya says in a tone you'd hear from someone who's giving a speech or something. But honestly it sounded weird coming from her.

Rose runs after her in the lobby while I lock my room. Someone from the other room screams telling us to shut it.
"No you." Says Maya to her and yells us to hurry up.

Rose somehow managed to get my other shoe that I put on when we're getting out of the dorms.

"Tell me again why we're leaving this early?" Asks a guy, who I'm assuming is Maya's cousin.
Curly brown hair, tanned skin, a bit muscular body. Maybe few inches taller than me.

"No. Shut it. Get in the truck and let's go-go-go-gooo." Says still hyper Maya.
The guy just shakes his head, smiles at Rose and me and then gets in his truck. He has one other guy in his truck, almost same built, blond hair. I couldn't take a good look at him since he was in the truck and Maya was pushing me to get in my car and drive off.

I honestly don't see a point taking my car to college since it's literally 15 minute walking distance, but Rose said that Maya used her big brain and thought "what if we have to go get something urgently."

I and Rose both thought it was dumb but here we are, in the car, on our way to college campus.
We reach there in less 5 min with all the "faster, faster." And "Stomp on the accelerator, you slow poke." from none other than Maya.
All the way to the campus Rose tried to tell Maya to "calm the fuck down". But it obviously didn't work.

Now that we were here, on the campus, one hour earlier than the regular time, I take a good look at the buildings in front of me. The campus itself was so huge they had to make signs for different buildings.

The old stone bricks buildings stands tall in front of us, with students our age all around us. Some in groups, talking and getting ready for college first day, some their sophomore year, some sitting alone on grass reading under the tree.

We all get out of our cars and look at each other.
.
.
.
.
"Now what?" Asks Dylan, Maya's brother.

"Well.. we made it, now I'm hungry so.." says Maya shyly.

"You dumbass."
"Oh my God. Reaaally?"
"Are you kidding me? You woke us all up and dragged here this early and now.."

Rose, Dylan and the other guy all starts shouting at Maya.
While I just look at how funny the whole situation is.

"Oh c'mon. I was just excited. Don't act like you guys were not." Maya says in defence.
"Yeah we were but we have brains and we think. Breakfast first, college later. That simple. But naah, your dumbass lost all the brain cells in the excitement."
"Oh shut up. If I was dumb I wouldn't have asked Ellie to bring her car. Now we can go to cafeteria faster." Maya taps her one finger on the side of her head and says "Big brain."

"I swear to God one of this days cousin, I'm gonna kill you." Dylan says rubbing his face.

We all get in our cars and head to cafeteria. We order our foods and take our seats.

While I'm silently listening and enjoying Maya and Rose's bickering back and forth, Dylan says "sorry about my sister. She's got some lose nuts."
"Yeah it's a family thing." Maya pipes in huge fake smile bringing him down with her while she grabs him by his neck, smacking on his head. And starting argument with him saying "Don't talk shit about me while I'm still here."
"Wouldn't you rather not talked shit about you at all? Dumbass." Rose says and laughs.

Now all three of them start bickering back and forth. The other guy decides to introduce himself to me saying, "well at least it won't be a dull moment around these idiots. Jason by the way."
"Gabrielle. You're freshman too?"
"Naah. I'm sophomore. Just Dylan's roomie.", he says.

We talk for a while and by the time we're done with our breakfast, half hour is left till the first class.

We reach the campus area again in no time and Jason decides to take his leave to meet his friends from his class.

We all walk towards the building while Dylan asks me "so Ellie? Do you have.. someone? Y'know? Boy...friend or summ?"
"Dylan, seriously? The first thing you ask my friend is this. Stop it. She's not into you and will never be. Not in your league. Leave her alone."
"Well technically, second thing but who's counting? And well it doesn't hurt to ask." Dylan looks at me and winks.

I feel awkward and weird about it but just laugh it off. I knew what to expect from him from the start. He's basically Maya- in a male body, just too flirty.

We get our schedules out, match and see which classes we have together, all that stuff and turns out I and Rose has our first class together. Dylan and Maya goes to theirs when it's few minutes left for class.

By the time we get our seats and settle down, I realise I feel fine. Despite it being my first day. The distraction I was looking for, it was these people I call my friends.
I'm no longer worried too much about things not working out for me or about the big plan. I feel at ease, excited about this new life, and feel..
.
.
happy.

_______________________________

A/N:
Hey my dear readers,
It's been a long time, I know. I haven't been well.
I will try to post regularly from now.
Here's the new fun chapter after all the sad and gloomy ones.
Hope you guys enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it.

If you like it, please make sure to tap on that little star. :))
And do let me know your thoughts on the story.

Until next time :)