Chapter 1

(Present time: July 8th, 2017)

As I stare at the coffin of my now dead father slowly being lowered into the ground, I think, would these people be judging me right now? Would they be thinking how I can not shed a single tear on his death?
He was my only family left after all.

Surprisingly I'm completely numb.
Maybe because his death wasn't really sudden. If anything, everyone knew his liver would give out after all these years of alcoholism.
Maybe it's just that a father wasn't a person to me, it was merely a concept to me and more often than not he'd be passed out in a bar or in his bedroom.
And in last few months, in hospital bed.
It wasn't sudden. No. Everyone knew this is how it'd end for him.

Thunders of grey clouds interrupts my chain of thoughts.
Isn't it only July?
They surely are trying to make me feel something. Trying to set the gloomy mood.

My mind wanders off to the thought of the plan I had been making for years now.
Is it okay to work on it now? I think.
Am I being too desperate for the revenge now that I don't have anyone left to lose?

• • •

After everyone was done saying their prayers, they came to us, said their condolences and left.
It's just me, Alexis and Carla now.

Carla did love my father at some point but after he cheated on her with my mother, it's only natural she'd be less attached. Even then she is showing her emotions.

"I'll be waiting in the car. Hurry up. It might come down faster." says Carla to her daughter, Alexis and leaves us two alone.

"He wasn't the best father but I will still miss him." Alexis says while putting her arm around my body.
"Yeah." I say.
"C'mon. We still have some packing to do."
Ah. Shifting.
"Why can't I stay at dad's again? I'm almost 19 now."
"No."

I wouldn't mind shifting to Alexis' but Carla doesn't really fancy me as long as I know.
Car ride is almost awkward.
The only sound we can hear is small tapping of rain on the car hood.

"So Gabrielle.. how much time till you turn 19?" asks Carla and I'm surprised at first seeing her starting a conversation, since she doesn't really like me and blames me and my mother for her broken family. But then I realise why she'd ask that.

"Mom! She's staying with us. And we're not going to have this conversation night now." says Alexis in my defence.

She's always been a caring big sister. She doesn't blame me or my mother for what happened to her family. I don't know where I'd be without her at this very moment. She was the one who practically raised me. Gave up her childhood and her teenage life to raise her broken little stepsister.
I wonder if she feels it was worth it.

"She and her mother was the reason, Alexis. How can you expect me to just accept her and raise her? Do you even care about how I'd feel? After your dad left, you left me too. I was alone all this time. They took away my husband and my daughter away from me. And you.."

"How is it Gabe's fault?! She just lost her father for God's sake. She doesn't have anyone except us. Let's not even count you. She only has me. And yes mom, I know I left. But I didn't want her to be alone. I had you. She? She didn't have anyone. Dad.. you know dad started drinking and wouldn't come home for days. She was 5. Alone. She needed someone. I know you needed me but you could take care of yourself. She? How do you expect a 5 year old to do anything on her own? Huh?"

I knew it'd come down to this. This is the last thing I wanted to happen. Now I'm just an underage unwanted responsibility.

Carla just looks at her daughter with something in between anger and sadness. But she doesn't say anything.
"She's staying with us. And if you really want her out of your house, then I'm leaving too. Because I'm not leaving her." Alexis is mad. She faces the road again and grips the wheel tightly with jaw clenching.