Chapter 7

Grian looked into the black abyss below him, clutching yet another crumpled sheet of paper in his hand. Another instruction from Grumbot.

He read the words on it another time. 

Bring me 3 pearls, straight from the end. Then I fulfil my end of the deal.

Grian wasn't aware of any 'deal'. The only thing he knew was that this could finally be his chance to be free from whatever Grumbot was doing to him. Maybe that was 'his end of the deal'.

He couldn't spend time thinking about the outcome, though. He had some endermen to kill.

After feeling the rush of entering the portal, Grian felt a little more at ease once he saw how empty the end was. He would have dreaded running into someone...who knows what could have happened? He still didn't have full control of his emotions or actions, and the end was already dangerous enough without him there. All Grian wanted to do was grab three ender pearls and get the heck out of there.

Grian flew to the edge of the island, towards a group of endermen.

He killed two endermen with no problem, and was about to grab his third pearl when he heard rockets above him.

Crap, he thought. Not now...

"Grian!" a voice yelled from above, before Ren landed in front of Grian and unequipped his elytra to put his chestplate on. "Fancy seeing you here dude!"

Grian, however much he wanted to fly away from there before Ren could say any more, decided to play it cool.

"Heh, same to you."

Ren pulled out his sword. "I just need to get lots of pearls quick. You need help?"

"Oh, no, I... I only need three actually-"

"Just three? Why"

"Uh..." Grian desperately tried to think of an excuse, but instead changed the subject. "Why do you need so many?"

Ren killed one of the endearment. "Scar's paying me to grab some. Something about ender chests."

"For his shop?"

"Probably."

It wasn't long before Grian felt an uncomfortable pain in his head. He presumed it was due to the unnatural air pressure in the end, but the more painful it grew, the more unbearable it became. It wasn't long before Grian was using all his energy just to stop himself from screaming. His vision began to blur, and he could only hear Ren's muffled voice over a continuous ringing noise. 

"Hey, Grian. You ok?"

Grian tried to focus on his one task: to get one more pearl.

"Grian?"

Grian looked an enderman dead in the eyes and watched it dart towards him. He pulled out his sword, ready to attack, but something in him hesitated and he zoned out. Left with no time to react, he was knocked down to the ground.

"GRIAN!"

Ren swung his sword at the tall, dark figure, sending it backwards with a loud screech. The noise caught the attention of four more endermen which were stood nearby, and they soon began to accumulate around Ren.

The hermit checked his inventory for rockets, only to find out he had one left. Without hesitation, he grabbed his last firework and equipped his elytra, ready to grab Grian and fly towards the portal to safety.

Though Grian wasn't on the ground anymore.

Ren felt his last rocket get thrown from his hand and into the void behind him, before he could react. Stood there was his blond-haired friend, grasping his diamond sword, a sinister-looking smile plastered across his face. Ren backed away slightly, still surrounded by endermen and nearing dangerously close to the edge of the end island.

"Grian, we need to get out of here dude,"

Grian didn't take any notice, and instead looked over at Ren with the same unsettling expression. Ren noticed his eyes were a light shade of grey, which only concerned him more. Ren took a hit from one of the enderman, but managed to send it into the void with his sword.

Grian walked over to Ren, his smile only growing bigger. Ren was too busy fighting off endermen; he didn't notice Grian edging towards him. When he did though, it was too late.

The sound of metal against metal echoed through the air. Ren had killed all the endermen, and was now trying to block Grian's sword with his own. Grian seemed unusually strong, and it wouldn't be long until Ren couldn't block anymore. Plus, Grian was pushing him backwards, towards the edge of the island.

Ren's hands became sweaty, and his grip on his sword loosened. He had no idea why Grian was acting this way, but his main priority was staying alive. Though he was barely hanging on to his sword at all anymore.

And once Ren's sword hit the ground, Grian swung his weapon, throwing him off the edge off the island and down towards the void.

As he fell, Ren could just about mutter one word:

"Why...?"

Hey! Hope you enjoyed this chapter :) sorry if it seems a little rushed, I was kind of in a hurry to get this one out (hence why its kinda short)

A lot of people were commenting saying stuff like, "Oh, but Grian is older than Mumbo!", and yes, you're right. But not in this au he ain't. 

Also thank y'all for 3k reads. Thats awesome :"D