24: The Memories of Asada Raito Part 3

The rain slowly weakens and Atsuo comes back inside with fresh clothes and a small towel that hung around his neck. 

     A knock goes on the door, Yuuki dashes to open it and a tall man, cloaked in black with matching hair and eyes was standing in front of us.

     "Hon, I'm back." He greeted, "I couldn't find Atsuo in the—oh they you are! Thank God you are safe."

     The man took off his cloak. Yuuki wrapped her arms around his leg, "Papa!"

     "Hey, Yuuki." He combs her hair lightly.

     Asuna emerges out of their makeshift kitchen and pecks a kiss on his cheek, "They got home safely. I gave Atsuo a good talking...are you even listening?!"

     Asuna shoves his shoulder and he looks at her nervously, "Hey!"

     "Look, he wouldn't act a lot like you if you didn't spoil him!" She argued in a huff.

     The man took notice of me, "Oh, are you Atsuo's friend?"

     I nod and he gave me a smile, "That's great to hear. I'm Kazuto but most call me by my nickname Kirito."

     Asuna sighs at her husband and turns to me, "You can stay over for dinner, Raito, before you go home."

     I shook my head, "No I'll go home now. But thank you."

     The rain was pretty weak now. I assumed that I overstayed here and should be heading out. I put on my shoes and stepped out.

     "Are you sure you don't want to stay a little longer?" Kirito asked me and I shook my head, "Okay, just be careful. The incline is badly damaged most of the steps are still sturdy though. I'll get to fixing them tomorrow."

     I bow and thank the family for their hospitality and slid the door open and I close it behind me. The sky was clearing now, I could see the moon behind the light canopy of clouds. I carefully climb the incline down and followed the usual route back home.

     As I was going back, I couldn't stop realizing how nice these people were. I haven't remembered any time someone offered me something like that. Sure the orphanage was respectful and giving towards us, but not to that kind of extent.

     By the time I got back everything was quiet. The stalls were closing and nearby houses lights are now off. I don't remember have been out this late.

     I see the usual big cottage like structure and tried opening the door. Locked. I look at the clock tower from afar. Ten o'clock. I suddenly remembered that that's when they shut the main door. I could try going through the window.

     I climbed onto one of the nearby trees and tried to push the window open. I pull it. Neither worked. I started becoming a little nervous. My last shot was the back door. I skidded down and tried it. I knocked, then pounded. No answer. I was locked out. Tonight, I'd be sleeping outside. There was a bundle of hay conveniently stacked by the back, I could just form it out it make a crappy bedding for the night.

     I laid on the poking straw and finally found a bit of comfort. There were roosters from neighboring houses that would cry the break of dawn, they'll wake me up and I won't need to be running to school the next day.

     I felt drowsiness and let myself rest. Still thinking about them. Why me of all people were they treating me nicely? Was it because I was his friend? Because I was injured, I don't know.

     He was lucky though from the start, I got the short end of the stick. He still has Asuna-sensei. Who do I have left?

     For him to throw his own life to save me, he should've just let me taken the blow.