Friends ?

"Rose, I swear I haven't received it yet!" I lied to Rose over the phone, a playful smirk tugging at my lips.

"I don't know why you'd lie, Madi, but it's been almost two weeks! Why can't the postal service do their damn job?" Rose's voice crackled with frustration, and I couldn't help but laugh.

"What's so funny?" she grumbled.

"Just picturing you all flustered," I teased. "But guess what? Your package actually arrived this morning."

"Did you open it?" Rose's tone changed instantly, her excitement bubbling through the phone. "If not, FaceTime me! I want to see your reaction."

I rolled my eyes, but dutifully opened FaceTime. "Ew, you're ugly," Rose said, her voice dripping with mock disgust.

"You're one to talk, Rose," I retorted. "I almost mistook you for your wall, you're so pale!"

We both paused, staring at each other through the screen.

"Okay, that was lame," Rose admitted, bursting into laughter.

"Yeah, it was," I agreed.

"You've gotta do better next time, Mads. I know you can."

"I guess my comebacks are getting worse. Must be all that time I spend with Mal," I said with a chuckle.

"Definitely. You should hang out with me more," Rose suggested.

"Nah, I can't handle that much sunshine and rainbows," I joked.

"Oh, you little..." Rose started, but then her voice turned excited. "Open the present, open the present!"

I propped my phone against a pillow and eagerly tore into the package. Inside, I found a USWNT jersey with Rose's name and number on the back, along with a photo of her adorable dog, Wilma.

"Oh my god, Rose, this is..." I stammered, at a loss for words.

"Amazing, breathtaking, the best present you've ever received?" Rose chimed in. "I know, I know, no need to thank me."

"Seriously, though, thank you. I love it! And Wilma is so cute!" I gushed, holding up the photo.

"I know, right?" Rose beamed. "I wanted to get you something funny and unique, like us. So, ta-da!"

"It's perfect, thank you so much!"

After ending the call, I hung Wilma's photo above my desk, a warm feeling spreading through me. As I scrolled through my phone, a knock at my door interrupted my thoughts.

"Come in!"

The door creaked open, revealing a familiar figure. "Hey, Supergirl! What are you doing here?" I exclaimed, jumping up to hug Jessie.

She grinned, her eyes twinkling. "No school for a few days, so I thought, why not surprise Miss Grumpy for her birthday?"

"I hate it when you call me that," I said, pulling back from the hug. "But I've missed you too much to be mad."

We settled on my bed, chatting and catching up.

"How did you even get in?" I asked.

"Christen."

"Chris knew you were coming?"

"Duh. I texted her before I came."

"And how did you get her number?"

"Mal."

I laughed. "Of course, Mal. Should have guessed that one."

Jessie's smile faded slightly. "She told me she was a little worried about you..."

I sighed, a familiar wave of annoyance washing over me. "I'm fine, Jess. I told her that."

"I want to believe you," she said gently, "but you haven't been to any of our get-togethers, and every time I invite you over, you decline. I just..."

"I'm fine!" I snapped, regretting the sharpness in my voice the moment the words left my mouth.

Jessie fell silent, her eyes filled with concern. I took a deep breath, trying to calm myself.

"Look, I don't want anyone to worry about me. I'm okay. Really. I know I've been isolating myself, but it's for a reason.I'm working towards something important."

Jessie nodded, her expression softening. She knew me well enough to know when to push and when to back off. For now, she simply offered a comforting smile, and we moved on to lighter topics.

—————

After dinner and more laughter-filled conversation, exhaustion finally began to set in. As we prepared for bed, I remembered my early morning game and set my alarm. Noticing Jessie's hesitation as she approached the bed, a mischievous grin spread across my face.

"You coming or what ?" I teased, patting the space beside me.

She blushed, a shy smile playing on her lips. "Just a little nervous," she admitted, sliding under the covers.

"Nervous about sharing a bed with me?" I winked. "I mean, I know I'm pretty irresistible, but try to contain yourself."

Jessie rolled her eyes, playfully swatting my arm. "Oh, please. Does your ego even fit in this room?"

"My ego is perfectly proportioned, thank you very much," I retorted, puffing out my chest.

She couldn't hold back a giggle, and before I knew it, a full-fledged pillow fight erupted. Feathers flew, laughter echoed,and the room became a whirlwind of chaos.

Eventually, I found myself pinning Jessie to the bed, a triumphant grin on my face. "I win!"

"Are you sure about that?" she asked, her eyes twinkling with mischief.

Before I could process her words, she flipped me over, her body pressing against mine. "I think I win now," she whispered in my ear, her warm breath sending shivers down my spine.

Her gaze locked with mine, the intensity in her eyes taking my breath away. The air between us crackled with unspoken desire. And then, without warning, she leaned down, her lips crashing against mine.

The kiss was electric, a surge of passion that ignited a fire within me. When she finally pulled back, her eyes were filled with a mix of excitement and apprehension.

"Madi, I think I—"

I silenced her with a finger on her lips. "Don't," I whispered, my voice barely audible. "Don't ruin this."

I tucked a stray strand of hair behind her ear, my fingers lingering on her soft skin. Then, I leaned in and kissed her again, this time with a tenderness that spoke volumes.

For a blissful moment, time stood still. We lost ourselves in the kiss, our bodies intertwined, our hearts beating in unison. As sleep finally claimed us, a sense of peace settled over me. I had no idea what the future held, but in that moment, wrapped in Jessie's arms, everything felt good.