A Bit of Courtesy

Her eyes glanced over the words as her fingers leafed through the pages. Sure magic offered benefits, but it would not quicken her search, and there was something calming about the sensation of the creased leather spine within her hands.

Scuffle, scuffle, screech. Scuffle, scuffle, scuffle.

“Would you please stop?” I begged the prince. For an instant, he ceased his pacing. The sound of his claws echoed throughout the room, a constant distraction. But now, all was silent.

Glancing up in surprise, she saw the prince stood midstride, paw slightly raised, and an expected grimace across his face. “Oops” she muttered as she quickly unfroze the creature. Her magic had a tendency of carrying out her will, regardless of her intentions. Without a pause, another paw stepped down, scratching against the surface. Being that the scowl hadn’t deepened, the prince was obviously unaware of the occurrence.

“I’m so bored,” he groaned.

“Then why are you still here?” she responded with equal annoyance.

“Mother.” His single word response did nothing yet everything to explain. She knew not why the queen would trouble her son to remain in her company. Perhaps , his role was to watch and ensure that the witch fulfilled her promise. If anything, it seemed more like she was watching over the agitated prince.

“Well then bring some of those books over here and help me look for a cure.”

“Me? Work?” the prince replied as his eyes widened with shock.

“Yes, now get your wolfie butt over here.”

Many of the books, nicely stacked high, toppled to the ground as he roared with laughter. One foot forward, and then the prince glided to the ground. His claw punctured the leather cover of a book and slid beneath him. The witch withheld a surprised laugh as the prince glared at the book that bounced from his head to the ground along with a myriad of other flying novels.

He gathered the collection within his arms, creating a disorganized, colossal mess. With a thud, he dropped the stack upon the table. Loose pages flew throughout the air. However, the books returned to their former appearance with a single glance from the young witch. In fact, they floated into neat, organized stacks.

“What’s your name, Witch?”

Her eyes narrowed briefly at the question. Would he have reason to pry regarding her ancestry? Despite concerns, she replied a harmless and honest answer, and hopefully all he was searching for.

“Adrianna.”

“Adrianna,” he repeated, as if testing her name upon his tongue. Yes, she had the urge to respond with agitation. “I’m Christopher,” he responded, much to her surprise. She longed to sarcastically comment on her shock regarding the monster having a name. Surely, she should have expected as much and regarding the fact that somewhere deep down truly lay a human man. However, instead she marveled in disbelief at the slightest hint of manners and common courtesy.

Author's note: I am so sincerely sorry for not uploading in forever! I'm a freshman in collge, and well...it's kicking my butt! But, I have finally returned to this story. I have made some edits throughout the previous sections. Not significant ones though. Anyways, here't the next section. I am really sorry that it's awful. I am hoping that it will satisfy you for the next few days and that you enjoy the next part more:)