Falling - Peter's POV

So this is similar to the last chapter, except it is from Peter's POV while he signs. Again the song is "Falling" by Harry Styles and I would recommend you watch his performance of it at the 2020 Brits. The lyrics of the song and internal thoughts of Peter will be in italics. Enjoy!

Saying Peter was nervous was an understatement. For the first time he would be exposing his heart to the world. Yet it was not the acceptance of the 7.8 billion people on the planet that he was concerned with. Just a singular person who currently resided in Rose Hill, Tennessee.

"Mr. Parker?" One of the interns for The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon questioned while knocking on the dressing room door.

"Yes?" Peter responded hastily as he shook himself out of his wallowing thoughts.

"Mr. Fallon will be ready for you in five. Are you ready to head to the prepping space?" Is the curt response.

Peter quickly gives himself a once over in the mirror before he walks over to open the door. "Lead the way!" he responds, masking his panic with a bubbly personality.

---

Peter stands on the stage ready to sing his heart out. He turns back around after nodding to his two accompaniments in time to hear Jimmy Fallon announce, "Ladies and Gentlemen, please welcome the newest up and coming singer with his new song 'Falling'!"

Peter takes a deep breath as he allows the soothing piano to take over his sense and block out the applause from the audience. He opens his mouth and begins to sing.

I'm in your bed

And you're not here

And there's no one to blame but the drink and my wandering hands

Peter remembers the feelings of abandonment he had felt when Harley left. Remembers how he had lain in bed for almost three days soaking up the scent of Harley from the sheets until MJ had had enough and forced him to rejoin civilization. Remembers how he relived every aspect of their argument trying to pinpoint what he could have done differently that would result in Harley still being here with him.

Forget what I said

It's not what I meant

And I can't take it back

I can't unpack the baggage you left

Peter was constantly analyzing their last argument for almost three weeks before he gave up. Three weeks before he came to terms with the fact that Harley was gone, and nothing he did would change that right now. With that realization he had thrown himself completely into his work. Focusing on the issues he could solve and ignoring those that he could not.

What am I now?

What am I now?

What if I'm someone I don't want around?

I'm fallin' again

I'm fallin' again

I'm fallin'

Peter lost himself after Harley left. He barely went out Spider-manning as he found himself too emotionally drained to have any energy for physical exertion. The toll of focusing solely on his work had resulted in low nutrition, lack of sleep, and an unhealthy amount of both coffee and ice cream to cope. He began to spiral back into his bad coping mechanisms that he used after losing Ben and then again with Tony.

What if I'm down?

What if I'm out?

What if I'm someone you won't talk about?