11. Ego?

The lunch was great

The lunch was great. The four bonded well. Watching her friend interact with Ravi, Alina felt much relaxed. After work, Meera and Alina took an auto ride home while Mikael drove Ravi with him to their PG. Surprisingly both men shared the same room.

Once home, Meera dropped her handbag on the couch and slumped with a thud and a sigh.

'Gosh!' She massaged her nape. Alina sat next to her, bunching her hair, and tying it in a bun on top of her head. She relaxed against the sofa, resting her head and closed her eyes.

'Hmm, Meera? Isn't Ravi a sweet gentleman.' Alina asked with her eyes closed. Meera hummed in response. Alina opened one eye and peeked at her friend. Just then she was distracted by a beep on her phone. Alina shifted, grabbing her phone, and found a new friend request on social media.

Hunar Feroz!

'Who the hell is she?' Alina checked her profile. She was someone from her school, but she didn't know if she was her classmate. The profile was fishy as it had nothing there. No previous posts, no likes, dislikes. She sighed, tossing the phone to her side. Must be some shady person with a fake account to flirt with her.

Alina tried to strike a conversation about Ravi with Meera, but she seemed disinterested. After a while, Meera leaned and turned to look at her friend.

'After Ronnie, I don't want any relationship. Especially, with someone, I do not know.' – she thought for a while, - 'I might consider Mikael, as I know him.' She tapped her chin. Alina's smile instantly disappeared. She shifted uncomfortably and leaned one side into the sofa,

- 'What do you mean? Mikael? Are you nuts?'

'Why?' Meera shrugged, - 'Look,' – she was serious now, - 'He liked you, okay, I know. But he does not like you now. So, if he—'

'Don't dream Meera. Mikael is not interested in you. I know that for a fact. Besides, you guys don't belong to the same faith. Will your parents let you be in a relationship with a Kashmiri Muslim?' – Alina huffed and fell back against the sofa, - 'I don't think so.'- She paused and glanced at Meera, who gaped at her, - 'Besides, Mikael is so handsome and he won't spare a glance at fatso medusa like you.' Alina ranted in a furious outburst.

'Oh My God!' Meera slammed her thighs and sprung up. Alina's expressions changed, realizing she went too far. With guilt in her eyes, she looked at her friend.

'Don't you think you went too personal? Also, neither Mikael nor my parents are narrow-minded as you. If my parents don't have problems with me being friends with Mikael then they should also not have any problem—Also, I just casually said—'

Alina stood up, - 'I am sorry, Meera. I crossed a boundary—' she stopped speaking when Meera raised a palm at her. She bit her lip. Her heart sank upon seeing tears in Meera's eyes. Meera closed her eyes and took a deep breath, then turned around.