6. carter

July 4, 2019

***Flash back***

Anna's pov:

"Carter I swear- Give me my damn phone" I said as I wrestled him to the ground.

"Or what? what're you gonna do?" Carter laughed at me while pinning me to the ground

"You are so annoying oh my god. I just want my phone." I rolled my eyes at him while smiling

"You know you have such a pretty smile. Why can't I see it more often?" Carter teased

"Because you annoy me and make me wanna fight you all the time I swear. Now get off me" I giggled

"No no. What's the magic word?" carter smirked

"What the hell do you mean magic word? Please? Get off of me?"

"Someone has an attitude. I dunno, I think I might just keep you here for a while" Carter held both my hands above my head while his face was inches from mine

He knew exactly how I felt about him. We've been on and off since sophomore year and I've always been more committed than he's been. I guess i'm just more ready for a serious relationship but every time I try and talk to him about how I feel, he shuts me out.

"Anna banana, you are so pretty you know that." Carters green eyes sparkled in the sun.

"Shut up you asshole. Let me up now please." I asked

"Only for a kiss." He said as he tilted his head to the side showing his cheek.

"You make me want to throat punch you. I hope you know that." I explained and then kissed his cheek.

He let go of his grip on my wrists and helped me up. We walked over to the same dock we sit at and watch the fireworks at every year. Our legs dangled over the ledge of the wooden plants floating above the water. The colors of the sunset reflected off the rippling water.

"Why are you sitting so far away for big head?" Carter said as he motioned for me to sit closer to him.

"I couldn't ask you the same question, smart ass." I replied as I scooted closer to him. He held my hand in his as I rested my head on his shoulder.

We sat and talked on the dock waiting for the fireworks to start. Every year during this time we're on and off. This year felt different for some reason. This time he wasn't off talking to other random girls or disappearing to go shot gun a beer.

"You know what we should go do?" he asked me

"What?" I said turning my head towards his

"Let's go sneak on a boat." He got up and stuck his hand out for mine

"Are you dumb? No." I said shaking my head

"Oh come on Anna. When's the last time you've done anything against the law? Or against the rules. Don't be a goodie goodie. It's the fourth for crying out loud, who cares if we get in trouble" Carter stuck out his hand again.

We held eye contact as I contemplated whether or not I wanted to do this.

Before I knew it we were running towards the marina. He ran in front of me, with my hand in his still.

"I know you can run faster than that. C'mon we're gonna miss the fireworks slow ass"

I rolled my eyes at him and we soon snuck onto an empty boat.

I walked over to the edge of the boat and looked up in the sky. Carter stood behind me and wrapped his arms around my waist. The fireworks erupted the sky with colors cascading across it.