Buzzing Brian Facts

Before we begin...

Happy Birthday Brian!

You're Such An Inspiration!

I hope you have a great day! Over the years, you've made us laugh, you've made us cry; and one thing you've certainly done is made us all want to touch your hair.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brian May 

 1) Brian thought Freddie was a gypsy type when he first met him.

2) Brian worked in a windshield wiper factory as a teen.

3) Before a gig at the Rainbow in 1974, Brian told Freddie he was acting like an old tart and he stormed off and was gone for several hours.

4) Brian and Deaky got into a huge fight over whether or not the song "Back Chat" needed a guitar solo. (I love the memes on that!)

5) Once, during an early soundcheck, Freddie got mad at the rest of the band over something and stalked out, saying he was leaving for good. When he didn't return after about half an hour, Roger and Deaky were panicking, certain he'd made good on his threat. Brian, however, calmly picked up the microphone Freddie had discarded and called into it, "Oh, Freddie? Freddie-poo? Freddiekins, where are you?" A moment later Freddie poked his head back in to yell "Don't call me that!" Brian just smiled and said, "I knew that would get you back in here.".

6) Brian is probably the only member of a band to ever have had a scientific paper published in Nature.

7) Brian wrote "Tie Your Mother Down" long before Queen ever got started. He'd been up all night in an observatory watching the stars and was too tired to sleep. He says he has no idea where the line came from, it just popped into his head. He was going to change it because he thought it was silly, but Freddie told him not to because "it reminds me of something that happened once, darling." Brian didn't dare ask what.....

8) Brian got drunk with Van Halen one night and when he went to throw up in the bathroom he hit his head on the toilet tank and got a concussion. He had to play with a bandage on his head the following night. 

9) Brian has a habit of never remembering where he left his coat apparently.

10) As a kid, Brian was afraid of a chair in the corner of his room at night.

11) Brian's mum said that when he was little he wanted to be a surgeon but he claims that he doesn't remember that.

12) The first time Brian met Crystal he accidentally stepped on his foot with his clogs and apologized about 20 times apparently.

 13) When Brian travels with his guitar he refuses to check his Red Special with the rest of his baggage and instead buys a seat for it. (why wouldn't he)

14) In Las Vegas Brian came on stage with no guitar (and that wasn't the last time that happened).

15) The Prophet's Song was inspired by a dream Brian had.

16) Brian broke his arm while playing around on his son's skateboard. (ouch)

17) Brian has donated an old lawnmower to the British Lawnmower Museum in Southport, Lancashire.

18) No one who knew him believed Brian wrote "Son and Daughter" because it had the word "s**t" in it.

19) Brian was once dragged into an alley in Hawaii and asked where he got his drugs, because he was wearing unusual clothes and had long hair.

20) Richie from Five got lost in Brian May's grounds during the recording of their version of 'We Will Rock You', and had to be found by a search party consisting of Five's other members.

21) The line "I want it all and I want it now," was inspired by Anita Dobson.

22) During The Works sessions Brian and Roger got into a fight and Brian punched Roger. (Woahh Brian.)

23) Brian May mainly used his "Red Special", which he designed with his dad when he was only 16 years old. It was made with wood from an 18th century fireplace.

He said of his guitar: "I like a big neck – thick, flat and wide. I lacquered the fingerboard with Rustin's Plastic Coating. The tremolo is interesting in that the arm's made from an old bicycle saddle bag carrier, the knob at the end's off a knitting needle and the springs are valve springs from an old motorbike."

He also prefers to use coins, instead of a more traditional plastic plectrum, as it gives him more control in playing. He is known to carry coins in his pockets specifically for this purpose.

24) Brian May studied physics and mathematics at Imperial College London, graduating with a BSc (Hons) degree and ARCS in physics with Upper Second-Class Honours.

From 1970 to 1974, he also studied for a PhD degree at Imperial College, studying reflected light from interplanetary dust and the velocity of dust in the plane of the Solar System. The title alone sounds very technical!

However, when Queen found success, he abandoned his studies, but co-authored two peer reviewed research papers, which were based on his observations at the Teide Observatory in Tenerife.

In 2006, May re-registered for his PhD at Imperial College and submitted his thesis in August 2007. He graduated at the Royal Albert Hall on 14 May 2008.

25) Brian May formed a group to promote animal welfare. Save Me (named after the Queen song), campaigns for the protection of all animals against unnecessary and degrading treatment, particularly focusing on the hunting of foxes and the culling of badgers.

He has said that he would rather be remembered for his animal rights work than for his music or scientific work.

Guys you need to see this:

Team Badger

Where can I join up?