Remarkable Roger Facts

Roger Taylor

1) Roger's father was known as "eccentric" for doing things like walking the cliffs when he was upset or riding a motorcycle in the garden and injuring himself as a result.

2) Roger was a very frail as a child and would come off the rugby field pale and shivering, which his friends found amusing. (poor Roggie)

3) As a teen, Roger's parents divorced.

4) At 16, Roger crashed his group's van into a fish truck in thick foggy conditions. One of his friends were seriously hurt. The matter wasn't resolved for several years. Queen was already formed by that time!

5) Apparently, Rog didn't learn to swim until he was 22. It was said he had a fear of drowning.

6) Roger has a fear of spiders.

7) Roger's Ferrari's engine caught fire in France back in '78.

8) Roger was drunk during the Who Wants To Live Forever video shoot.

9) Roger has 3 conservatories in his Surrey home.

10) Roger's son Felix was born 2 months premature and weighed only 2

pounds!

11) In 1989 Roger had a brilliant party to celebrate his 40th birthday. The invitation said "rock til you drop" and it was a "schooldays" theme party and all the 1000 guests had to dress up appropriately. Roger had hired two HUGE searchlight spotlights for the evening, to scan the sky over the house. He had to obtain special permission from the British Aviation Authority to use them (to ensure any aircraft didn't think they were landing lights or whatever!). They roved back and forth across the clear sky - and caused absolute chaos! People living nearby, and anywhere up to about 25 miles away, could see them sweeping the sky, and thought they were Unidentified Flying Objects. People were driving towards the lights from right across Surrey and Hampshire to see if aliens were landing! The police in the county were inundated with calls about the mysterious lights, and cars were pulling up on the busy road that runs past Roger's property and their occupants were standing on the verges looking upwards! The event even made the front page of the next days newspapers! But it was certainly a good party.... !

12) Roger has stubby little toes.

13) We all know that he's had a beard in recent years, but he also grew a beard in 1969/1970 because people out on the street kept mistaking him for a woman.

14) In the mid-1970's, Roger threw a temper tantrum backstage and slammed his foot into a wall. After the gig he had to be taken to the hospital for x-rays. (Rog's monitor failed and he couldn't hear what he played or sung, which is why he threw the fit).

15) Roger quit smoking around 1987 because his then-girlfriend Dominique had pneumonia (what a sweet guy)

16) A few days after Roger's Ferrari caught fire, he and a couple of friends set off on a boat off the shore of France. The boat stalled and they were stranded for 3 hours until they were finally towed back to the coast.

17) Roger shaved his legs for the "I want to break free" video, as the cuts testified, Roger was quite sad about this.

18) Roger attended his father's funeral the day after his 41st birthday.

19) To celebrate Queen's 20th anniversary, Roger bought Debbie an antique necklace made of platinum and diamonds which was worth 150,000 pounds.

20) Once, during their Kensington Market days, Freddie sought Roger's help in the kitchen "Rog, darling, how exactly do you boil an egg?" Roger's response? "You, umm - I don't know. I think it has something to do with hot water."