Chapter One

The broken ac unit hummed and cracked beside Yuma, where he sat, finishing homework. He sighed, adding numbers to the math sheet assigned. Yuma's best friend, Helleni, pushed Yuma's dorm room open, sighing when she saw him with a heavy cup of coffee in hand and a small pile of music sheets, basic diagrams, and old school notices. She pushed her hot pink hair out of her face and started asking questions.

"Insomnia again?" She asked, fake worry seeping into her teasing tone.

"Not helping moron. But yeah, and I also have other stuff to do." Yuma whispered, shooting up when he looked at the clock. "Curse college." He mumbled, shooting into the bathroom.

Helleni smirked and walked out of his room, sitting back down on the couch. "Where'd you put the keys?" Yuma yelled, pushing his long hair into a bun.

"On the key hook, dang." She frowned, realizing just now how little sleep he must have gotten. "How much this week?" She whispered when he shot past the couch, clipping on a fake bowtie. "Five hours at most, and it's Saturday," Yuma said, grabbing his car keys and security badge. "Sayōnara."

"Both you and I know I don't speak Japanese," Helleni said, flicking on her phone to see the time. "But it's only 9:00..?"

"Elia wants me in earlier or something. My actual shift starts at 9:30," Yuma said, bolting out the door.

"This kid needs to stop,"

-♡-

Yuma ran into the bar, shooting past fellow workers.

"Mornin'," Eio said, tossing a drink out.

"Hate you too," Yuma said, jokingly.

"Mhm, sure you do love," Eio smirked, obviously a bit tipsy.

"Eio! You're on break, get out you drunk idiot!" Elia screamed, grabbing spray. "Heh. No, the heck I'm not, but fine." Eio slurred, obviously more than tipsy.

"You might want to get someone to drive him home, he already has a terrible record," Yuma whispered to his boss, grabbing a few different drink ingredients. "I hate how true you are." She hissed. Yuma smirked and started taking orders.

-♡-

Yuma was wiped after four hours of work, groaning when he realized he'd have to walk home, and he was not up for it at 2:30 in the morning.

"It's Britney-"

"Don't even finish that sentence Helleni." Yuma groaned, looking at the rundown car on the road next to him. "Get in loser, we're going shopping!" Helleni said, opening the passenger side door.

"We're both broke college students, and I'm the only reason you're still in the school, we are not going shopping... loser." Yuma shot back, smirking.

"Screw. You," She hissed, stepping on the gas.

"One more word and I'm not paying your tuition." Helleni nearly screamed, throwing her head back.

-♡-

456 words