Chapter 42: The Ultimatum

I didn't know what to expect at this point, but I knew it was trouble. Dr. Brenner wasn't the kind of person to make angry, and I had no idea exactly what he was capable of. I did my best to appear brave, but in reality, I was scared out of my mind, more so than when I was in the Upside Down, or possessed by the Mind Flayer. At least then, I had people close by trying to help me, but here, no one had any idea where I was. I was on my own, and at the mercy of an evil, sadistic man.

    I continued shutting my eyes tightly, almost as if I were to do it hard enough, I would be able to escape my current situation.

    "Now, now," he said to me, lightly slapping my face, causing me to open my eyes. "I know you think I'm a bad guy, but I assure you that I am not. I could have killed you by now, but I didn't. I could have tortured you, but I didn't. It isn't just me that needs you, it's all of humanity. I didn't enjoy doing experiments on you or Eleven, but it was necessary, and if I don't get your help, it could mean the end of the human race."

    I was genuinely surprised by what he was saying. I wasn't buying it, but I had no idea what he meant when he said that if he didn't get help from me or El, that humanity could end.

    "I know that it's hard to understand," he said to me. "But I promise you will after you join me. Trust me. No one knows more aboutyou than me. I have already proven that. Can you tell me one thing I said about you so far that wasn't true?"

    I stared back at him blankly, not sure what to say. He was right, but I wasn't going to admit that, and it didn't make a difference anyway. I knew exactly who he was and what he had done. I didn't know exactly what his plans were, but I knew I couldn't trust him.

    "Your silence is all the confirmation I need," he said as he broke the awkward silence. "Join me. Do the right thing. Nothing is worth letting the human race die, is it?"

    I continued staring at him blankly. I couldn't believe what I was hearing, but I knew that joining him would be like selling my soul to the devil. Though I couldn't tell if any of what he was telling me was true, my gut was telling me that he was evil, and there was no way I would join him.

"God damn it," he said as he sighed. "I knew you were stubborn, but I really didn't want it to come to this." He then attached electrodes to my head, the same ones from my visits with Dr.Owens, but this would be worse. Much worse.