Chapter 1: after the fall

The last thing Ruby remember was a bright light, and screaming Pyrrha's name. Her eyelashes slowly fluttered open as she attempted to sit up, hearing her uncles voice. "You okay kiddo?" He sipped from his flask, the rooms light reflecting off the metal. Ruby just felt achey, from what she could see she didn't have any visible injuries, probably just a few scrapes and bruises. "What happened...? Is Yang okay?!" Panic started to flood through Ruby, her chest felt heavy as if her entire body was underwater apart from her face. "Firecracker is alright, she'll live anyway, what do you remember Ruby?" He leaned forward, curious if she remembered what she had done back in beacon. "Well... we got a call from Jaune... so me and Weiss ran to go help, I got to the communication tower and then... oh my god..." tears filled her eyes as she remembered what happened to pyrrha. "I found you and your friend up there, with a huge stone grimm clinging to the tower" Qrow finished his flaks and sighed "what's the matter? Why ya crying? Oh sorry I should have said, that girl what's her face? Pyrrha? She's alive, well, for now, she's been sent to atlas for intensive care, she's in stable condition for now, her chances aren't great but James has his best doctor's working with her. Just try not to get your hope's up okay?" The weight was instantly lifted from Ruby's chest, Pyrrha was okay? But she watched her turn to ash....? "Uncle Qrow that doesn't make sense.. I watched her die... she turned to ash..." She kept racking her brain trying to understand how pyrrha could be alive, Qrow just gave her a confused look and shook his head "she didn't look like ash to me kiddo"

Cinder had been in a predictably shit mood ever since they got back, her throat was in so much pain she could barely speak, and when she did it was basically inaudible. She was even angrier to find out emerald had been there to see Ruby's weird power weaken her, she had gotten there just before Cinder shot Pyrrha, and Emerald was the reason Ruby saw what she saw, she had used her semblance too mess with Ruby, but she couldn't say that to Cinder, cause its the reason Ruby got emotional and used her weird silver eyes.