TWO

𝙰𝚞𝚐𝚞𝚜𝚝 𝟹, 𝟸𝟶𝟽𝟾
𝟷𝟾:𝟺𝟻 ¦ 𝙼𝚘𝚗𝚍𝚊𝚢

It felt like a pool of nothingness, having myself lost within a dreamless state and I had no idea how much time had passed since I chose to lock myself inside my room as long as I didn't have any mission. As usual, I was met by silence in the dark room, my eyes staring towards the window. Not out the window, but right at the window. I had been used to waking up at night and sleeping my ass from the daylight since I was frequently given missions at this time, and even though I tried to suppress my augs from turning on by themselves I couldn't hide the strange feeling inside of me.

I just woke up without having any dream, even a nightmare. They had gotten worse day by day ever since that happened. . .

Closing my eyes, I held the sides of my head tight to push the thought away, but the feeling remained. I felt relieved to know my hangover had already disappeared after sleeping so at least it didn't add up to the pain throbbing in my chest. I took a deep breath, and then opened my eyes to ease the anxiety as I let out an exhale.

Right, still as tense as ever, Enzo. You're doing a great job, really.

My hands found their way moving to the side, causing me to yelp at a crash. I let out a curse under my breath while I made my way out of the bed to turn the lights on, only to curse even more at the searing numbness on my limbs. To think I must have gotten them stuck under me, I shook away the thought and walked over towards where the crash came from. My eyes landed on an empty bottle laid on the carpet which was broken into pieces, and there was another emptied one on my bed. I sighed in frustration at the sight of vestiges of red stains all over the floor.

Dammit, I bent down to pick up the chunks of glass after grabbing the bin nearby, hoping I'd get to finish this off quickly, Remy's gonna kill me. Stupid Eight and his stupid enticements.

A ringtone rang out of nowhere that made me stop and turn to where it originated, placing the bin down and dusting myself off to reach my hand over the nightstand. I placed the device in my ear, clearing my throat before turning the comms on.

Evening, Four. Good to know you're up.”

Thank goodness it wasn't Six.

Hearing the laid-back tone evident in Nine's voice, I was able to ease myself for a few seconds and clear my mind, suddenly forgetting about the mess below me.

“Yeah hey, just woke up,” I told him while eyeing the lampshade. “Let me guess, they're sending me on a mission again?”

Precisely, except for a few things.”

“Tell me about it.” I moved to stand, heading towards the window and leaning my side against the frame. A good glimpse of the restless city at night from here was one of the reasons I liked this room. I was getting a little carried away at the breathtaking view when I caught up on the next words being said by Nine.

“. . . Got a notif from Three about KAIROS.”

What in Olympia? I was able to restrain myself from shouting out a cuss through the comms, feeling a sense of conscience for Nine but I couldn't help turning away from the window while circling the room in a state of anxiety. I thought they're gone?