Chapter 23:" The best surprise"

[ATLAS]

It's been 3 days after I found out the truth a out my family. I read the letter my mom gave me and can't believe she lied to me straight up for 17 years. I scrunched up the letter and threw it away. She wrote useless apologies in it, which don't matter now. I hate the fact that they lied to me. But I grew up with my mom, who raised me alone. Therefore I can't just start hating her now.

I forgive her, but I can't assure her that things will be the same as they are.

I started talking a bit with Violet. I still feel guilty for giving her all the fault, although she hasn't done anything wrong. She is kind and tried accepting me as her child, despite the things that happend to her and what I did to her.

My stepbrothers, Zero and I spent the past 2 days together, just lole today. Going through trips, eating out, doing all kinds of thing Canadian teenagers do. I feel happy when I am around them. I also can't believe that they got into a fight, when I was drunk. Really weird, right?

I finally connected my phone with the internet here and received tons of notifications. Most of them are from my mom, but I choose to ignore them. Not now, mom.

Aubrey wrote me messages aswell. Telling me that Zero is coming to Canada, How life is like here, if Zero is
living with their uncle and so on. I missed her calls too.

She must be really worried by now.

I decided to call her and to my surprise she picked up right away.

"ATLAS!" She screams, causing me to keep my phone off my ears. "WHY DIDN'T YOU ANSWER SOONER?! I WAS DAMN WORRIED, YA KNOW!"

"I'm sorry. Didn't have internet connection for a few days." I apologise.

"Alright. There's many things I want to ask and tell you!" She squeals.

Oh, Aubrey.

"It's late already. Tell me tomorrow." I smile. "Just called to let you know that I'm available now."

"Oh- WAIT!" She then yells.

"Yes?"

"Did Zero tell you?" She spontaneously asks me about her brother.

"Tell me what?" I unsurely ask.

She sighs out liud and curses underneath her breath. "It's his fucking birthday today!"

BIRTHDAY?!

I split my mouth open as I realised why he's been acting too normal. "Are you serious right now?" I ask.

"Yes, It's today! I can't believe he didn't write us back either! Why is he always ignoring such special day?!"

Just as she continues rambling I hastily look at the time. It's 11pm already.

Shoot! Why am I even doing this? Just for fairness right? I do owe him somethings.

"Okay, Bree! Listen, I have to hang up now. Talk to you later!" I say and hang up.

Fucking brat has to be so mysterious!

I stomp out my room and knock on my stepbrothers doors. They open up in the same time.

"What is it Atlas?" Zephyr yawns.

"Is a cockroach in your room?" Lyric rubs his left eyes as he leans at his doorframe. A what? He yawns and takes his slipper up. "Where is it?"

Seriously now?

"No." I say. "I just found out that Zero's birthday is today."

As I've said that they finally wake up. They look surprised and confused at the same time.