Chapter 36

The sun hung high in the sky when the pair arrived at a certain, small village.

Wuyuan Village was nestled at a hill near the river bank, made up of twenty families. The people made a living from hunting and was dependent to the water. Since the village was relatively remote and small, the people were particularly plain and warm, and they treated each other like close relatives.

Seeing Zhao Xing supporting a heavily-injured man, the villagers immediately went to help them. They escorted the two over to the head village's residence to get proper treatment. Without the two asking, the head villager attentively prepared a room for them and had some people call the village's physician.

The village head, Gu Shunzhang, was a fifty-six year old man who lived alone with his wife. Since their only daughter had married into a decent family in Changle City, she rarely visited her home and parents. Thus, the old couple let Gao Chang Gong and Zhao Xing to stay in her old room.

"Child, how come your husband got such severe injuries?"

Old Madam Gu was truly anxious upon seeing the wounds on Gao Chang Gong's body. The creases on her forehead became more visible as her eyes scanned Zhao Xing's whole being. She was no better ah!

Zhao Xing almost fainted when Old Madam Gu stated that the general was her husband. Her cheeks were instantly covered in a pinkish cloud which made her appear more adorable.

"We're not-"

The young lady was about to explain their situation, but Old Madam Gu quickly stopped her. In her point of view, Zhao Xing's embarassment was more of a bashful expression. So the old madam didn't force her to explain.

The fifty-two year old lady allowed a teasing smile to appear on her beautiful, wrinkled face. Pointing at the young couple's matching, crimson silken clothing, she concluded, "Aiya, no need to explain, no need to explain. We know what you guys have been through. Eloping like this is definitely not easy. You and your husband have suffered a lot."

"Wait... we really aren't-"

"No need to explain! I've seen it happen plenty of times before!"

"Madam-"

The old lady gave her a thumbs up. "I completely support and believe in your relationship!"

What was this? What was going on? Even if she was excited to be with her idol, she didn't want to be with him like this! Wasn't it going to cause frustration from Gao Chang Gong? She definitely didn't want any misunderstandings to appear if the general didn't like it! Zhao Xing's expression turned dull, wanting to speak up again to explain they weren't together.

Unfortunately from stress, Zhao Xing's face completely turned beet red at this point, like a stewed shrimp. She was utterly speechless as she didn't know how to defend herself in this kind of situation. She was honestly about to pass out.

On the other side, Gao Chang Gong only let out a soft cough as he lied weakly on the simple bed. Even though his etheral visage slightly reddened, he appeared more composed than Zhao Xing, as if he had resigned to his fate... but it seemed like he accepted it rather quickly. The tip of his lips slightly quivered as he suppressed the strong urge to smile in joy.

Gao Chang Gong happily replied, "Thank you, we truly appreciate the help."

"You two lovebirds, there's no need to worry. You can stay in our village as long as you want. If you decide to start your family branch in our village, we will ask the villagers to help you to build a simple house. You can take it as a marriage gift from us!"

Old Madam Gu was extremely delighted. She was grinning ear to ear as she looked at the young couple before her. They kind of reminded her of her younger days with Old Master Gu.