Chapter 27

"This seems like a nice place to hold a reception?" I turned back to Kimmy and James as they looked around.

"I honestly am okay with whatever Kimmy likes the most." James throws his arm over Kimmys shoulder, and she blushes.

I fake a gag. "Heterosexual couples." I mumble, and Kimmy scrunches up her nose.

"Careful Milo, spend too much time with us and we might infect you." She purses her lips, and I take a few steps back, making sure I was more than six feet away from them.

"The rainbow flags make me immune. You can't harm me." I place a hand on my hip, making sure to look extra sassier than I normally do.

Kimmy just rolls her eyes, clearly amused at our jokes.

"So either this greenhouse garden or the winery?" James turns back to Kimmy, and she nods.

"Sure. The barn and the church just seemed a little too predictable." She tells James, and he hums in agreement.

"Six more weeks Kimmy, and you'll be a married woman. Ugh, my baby has grown up so much." I pull her away from James and smother the side of her head in annoying little kisses. Kimmy just chuckles, and gently pushes me off of her.

"Watch the hair dude. Do that again and I won't be afraid to make you pass out with your pressure points." She fluffs up her hair gently, giving me a side eye.

I raise my hands in the air. "Alright, I'm backing off. Dont kill me."

"If I kill you I get Zoe." Kimmy sticks her tongue out.

My jaw drops. "Think of all the trauma she would go through! Don't put my Zoe bear through that."

We continue to tease and poke fun at each other the rest of the time we look around the greenhouse garden. James being the only sensible one to point out certain spots on what he thinks would be best going where. Such as the caterers, the tables, a little gazebo made out of vines, you know the drill.

I feel my phone buzz in my pocket, and I pull away from Kimmy and James, answering the phone without checking.

"Hello?" I ask.

"Ah, just hearing your voice makes my day ten times better." I hear Brennan on the other end, and I can practically see that signature smirk on his face.

"You're such a sap." I roll my eyes, and I hear him chuckle on the other end of the phone line.

"I was just wondering when I could see you next?"

"You mean when I could grace you with my presence? I don't know Bren, I'm booked for a while." I nonchalantly shrug, even though he couldn't see me.

"Bren? That's a new one, Mi."

"A nickname. Woah, who knew people gave those to each other." I try my best to sound unamused, but I feel like I'm failing miserably.

Along with the growing smile on my face, I can't hold that back no matter how hard I tried.

"Okay but seriously Mi, when can I see you next? I already miss you."

"You miss me? How cute." I do a baby voice, and I hear him laugh.

"I know it's only been a day, but I'm being serious. Are you free at all this week or something?" Brennan asks.

"Well, I'm normally so busy with gracing others with my presence, but I guess I can make a small time for you on Thursday afternoon?" I fake a sigh.

"I'll take it. I'll let you know if I'm working that day or not." He explains, and I nod, only to realize that once again, he can't see me.

"Cool. Just text me or something."

"Or something? I'll send you a mail pigeon."

"But doves are better." I pout.

"But pigeons are funnier. And more iconic. You can't argue with me on this, we both know I'll win." Brennan states, and I roll my eyes, knowing he's right.

"Alright, well I have to go. I'm out venue shopping with Kimmy and James right now. It's serious business."

"Okay. I'll see you soon then."

We said our goodbyes to each other before I hung up the phone.

I turn around and see Kimmy giving me a knowing smile.

I shoot back a confused face. "What?"

"You're getting whipped." She shakes her head, and my jaw drops.

"Nuh uh." I deny, and she gives a throaty scoff.

"Alright, whatever you say. Just be careful. I still don't trust him." She shakes her head.

"Listen, I know you're trying to look out for me, but I have to take risks right? I know this is risky, but I feel like this is a good one." I pocket my phone, and Kimmy just nods, clearly not in a place to argue with me on this.

"Who's hungry?" James chims in, and I raise my hand.

"I'm always hungry. You guys go ahead and decide on where to go, because I have to get Zoe and free her babysitter."

The couple nods, and I quickly wave goodbye and walk out of the greenhouse to my car.

———

"Do you like pepperoni?" I ask Zoe, and she shakes her head.

"Alright. Just a small cheese pizza then." I tell the worker, and she nods, putting the order through the system to be made.

I quickly pay and go sit back down at the table that Kimmy and James were at.

"The tailor said my dress should be ready to pick up in another week?" Kimmy tells me, and I gasp.

"Well finally! How long have they been adjusting it? A month now?" I set Zoe down in the chair next to me and give her my phone to play a few different games on it to keep her occupied.

"I lost track if I'm being completely honest." She laughs and takes a sip of her soda.

"I'm not surprised. You're working hard with planning everything else."

She groans. "Tell me about it. Weddings are so much work. Sure, they're worth it for those who want to have one, but sometimes it seems unnecessary."

James hums in agreement.

"It's a big celebration, what do you expect?" I laugh, and Kimmy nods in agreement.

I can't wait to see my best friend get married.