Chapter 4

Chapter 4

Xiang Yang knew that she was probably too exhausted and weak from the harrowing experience, so he leaned her body against a pine tree near the bridge to rest while he sat beside her to care for her. It felt like he was nursing his fellow apprentice Hua Xuan when she was ill as a child.

He examined Zhao Wanyan carefully. Although her clothes were ragged and damaged, he could tell that they were made from expensive fabric as they were very distinct from the coarse fabric of the other village women. When the fabric flapped in the wind, he could peer through the holes in her clothing. Her clear skin and her supple breasts could be slightly seen, rising and falling with her rapid breathing. Xiang Yang's heart raced as he stared at her exquisite face. Her dark, messy hair did not take the edge off her elegance at all. "Perhaps Miss Zhao is a lady from a wealthy family?" Xiang Yang muttered to himself, but he did not put much thought into it.

Soon, the sky grew darker. As the evening breeze blew, it became colder so Xiang Yang removed his robe to put on her. However, she woke up right at this precise moment. When she saw Xiang Yang taking off his clothes, she was taken aback and immediately screamed, "What... What are you doing?" Xiang Yang stopped abruptly and merely stared at Zhao Wanyan, unable to react. Her astonished face was flushed crimson red as she curled herself up again and muttered, "Why... Why are you taking your clothes off..."

Her words made Xiang Yang chuckle. This lady is really skeptical. Then, a prank idea popped in his mind. He let out a cough and replied, "That's because... I wanted to do this!" Suddenly, he moved closer toward Zhao Wanyan and held her tiny shoulders tightly. Zhao Wanyan let out a frightened shriek, but she could not move an inch. Before her, Xiang Yang only had a cotton shirt on, yet his body was so close to her. Embarrassment and anxiety filled her heart while fear flashed in her clear, glistening eyes.

Xiang Yang burst into uncontrollable laughter when he saw her reaction. Then, he withdrew his hands and gently put his robe on her. He pinned his hands behind him and continued with a serious expression, "This is what I was going to do." Zhao Wanyan was stunned for a moment, before finally realizing that it was a prank. To be honest, I have been unconscious for so long. If he really wanted to do...nasty things to me, he wouldn't have to wait till now... As she mulled it over, her cheeks reflexively flushed a deep shade of red. She asked softly, "Aren't... Aren't you cold?" Xiang Yang replied, "It's fine, I can just get another one at the market in the town ahead. It's quite far from Luoyang, so we should find a place to stay the night."

Zhao Wanyan twiddled the hem of her clothes and replied softly, "No... I have to head to the capital." Hence, Xiang Yang nodded and said, "Good, that's even closer. Let's go!" Zhao Wanyan exclaimed lightly, "Ah, you..." Xiang Yang replied, "Of course I'll be accompanying you there. It is dangerous for a lady to travel alone." As shyness overwhelmed Zhao Wanyan, her volume diminished even more, "But you... I..."

Suddenly, Xiang Yang looked up and hollered at the skies. His voice reverberated in all directions, even the river water seemed to ripple with it. Shocked by his abrupt gesture, Zhao Wanyan asked, "What's the matter?" Xiang Yang gave her a smile and replied, "What's going on with you? Do you wish me to pull my ears open to listen to you talk? You're talking too softly, it's a little awkward!"

Zhao Wanyan could not help but cackle at his words. Then, she raised her voice and said with more confidence, "Fine then! I'll... I'll..." Yet, she became embarrassed only after a few words, hence lowering her volume again. She seemed particularly meek and shy. As it was his first time seeing her smile, Xiang Yang was mesmerized for a second before quickly regaining his senses and said kindly, "It's getting late, let's go!"

However, Zhao Wanyan suddenly said, "Wait..."