Chapter 7

Chapter 7

Taken aback, Xiang Yang paused for a moment before he glanced up at the night sky. Since he was little, he had only interacted with one girl, who was precisely a junior of his. However, Hua Xuan was vivacious and typically spent more time with his junior, Wen Yuan. There existed nothing more than an unsullied junior-senior relationship between them. Thus, when he was met with one bashful Miss Zhao, he was so overwhelmed he did not know what to do about the bizarre rippling in his heart.

While he was immersed in his thoughts, Zhao Wanyan had already returned. Handing him a damp handkerchief, she muttered, "Here, wipe your face. Does it hurt?" Xiang Yang retrieved the handkerchief, catching the faint fragrance dissipating from it. He smiled. "Even if it does, I deserve it. It's called a punishment." Zhao Wanyan let out a soft sigh in response. "Sigh... I'm not blaming you. Why were you so quick to hit yourself?" Xiang Yang was rendered incredulous. "You don't blame me? Why not?"

Upon hearing this, Zhao Wanyan grew even more abashed. She clasped her hands tightly together and averted her gaze. Xiang Yang could vaguely deduce something from her mien, and thus, he closed in. Zhao Wanyan retreated by a few steps, only to be impeded suddenly by the little tree on which she had hung her clothes to dry. A muffled cry fell from Zhao Wanyan's lips, but Xiang Yang was already standing directly in front of her. She buried her head into her chest and called out, "Don't... don't come any closer! I... I..."

Xiang Yang was already wavering in the first place, so when he heard her timid plea, he instinctively wrapped his arm around Zhao Wanyan tenderly. "Miss Zhao, if you allow it, let me send you back to Luoyang after we arrive in the capital."

Catching his announcement, Zhao Wanyan was overcome with a thrilling combination of meekness and elation. She mumbled, "I... I've permitted it from the very beginning... Those bandits tried to violate me... I was worried you might dislike me... That's why... that's why..." Flustered, she pointed at the stream and then at her clothes on the tree, before finally peering down at her toes in embarrassment.

Xiang Yang did not withdraw his hand from around Zhao Wanyan's waist. He beamed at her. "Yeah, now that you've washed yourself clean, you don't have to be afraid of those bandits anymore." Zhao Wanyan raised her head to meet his eyes, her face brimming with diffidence and a slight tinge of excitement. She spoke under her breath, "Mr. Xiang, you... you saved me, and you're nice to me... and you've seen my... my..." At this, her words ceased for a split second. As if resolving herself, she continued gently, "Apart from you, there's nobody else who can... can... Uhm..." Once again, she halted in her tracks, concerned that it was disgraceful for a lady to speak of such deeds. Even so, she managed to get her point across. Placed in such a spot, Xiang Yang hesitated no further. In a fluid movement, he tightened his embrace around the gorgeous lady and pressed his lips against hers.

"Ah..." Before Zhao Wanyan could form a coherent sentence, her rosy lips were swiftly greeted by his. Her starry eyes were open by mere millimeters and her long eyelashes quivered ever so slightly. She felt a warm current traverse her entire body, turning her limp and ridding her of any traces of strength. It was not until their lips finally parted when her eyes gradually fluttered open. There seemed to be a glint of moisture tumbling within her eyes.

Xiang Yang slowly laid Zhao Wanyan on the meadow, cautiously unraveling the belt of her robe as though she was an invaluable treasure that he was afraid to shatter. Then, he tugged at her sleeves and gently pulled them aside, revealing her fair skin. Zhao Wanyan merely moaned softly, her delicate breasts swaying restlessly.

"Miss Zhao...?" Xiang Yang stopped before he drew her robe beyond her shoulders. He gazed into Zhao Wanyan's eyes as she lolled there feebly. Then, she turned her scarlet face away and slightly relaxed her clenched fists. With his right hand, Xiang Yang propped her back up and ran his left hand along her tender skin, letting the robe fall by itself; from her shoulders, off her arms, and finally onto the lush, green grass.

As of now, Zhao Wanyan's upper body was fully exposed. As a wave of irresistible discomfiture poured forth within her, Zhao Wanyan brought her right hand up to her stunning features and hid sheepishly behind it.