May 1973 - entry no. 2

Frankie was sitting in her bedroom listening to Exile on Main St. by the Rolling Stones trying to clear her head. She was suffering from a bit of writer's block, and she was feeling a bit uninspired at the moment.

During the middle of "Torn and Frayed," Frankie hears the landline start ringing from the kitchen downstairs. Her mother was currently in the shower, and deeming the call to be rather important as it was after dinner time, Frankie trudges downstairs to answer before the ringing has ceased.

"Hello?"

"Hi, Lester Bangs here. Is this Frankie Goodhart?" A deep voice says on the other line.

Frankie pauses, scrolling through the rolodex in her brain trying to remember if she knew anybody with that name. Suddenly, Frankie sucks in a breath, realization dawning on her.

"Hello? Do I have the wrong number or something?" The voice repeated, clearly losing patience. Frankie was currently speaking to the Lester Bangs, top music editor at Rolling Stone magazine. Also known as, the name she had scribbled on the past fifteen manilla envelopes she sent out to the magazine up in San Francisco.

"Er, yes. Hi, this is she," Frankie mutters, trying to sound sophisticated.

"Awesome. I work at Rolling Stone and we just came across your review for Bowie's Aladdin Sane record. Ace work," Lester says quickly, and Frankie can feel her heartbeat in her throat.

"Oh cool. Thank you," Frankie replies, quietly jumping up and down on the tile flooring of her kitchen.

"Are you currently writing for any other publication? Please don't tell me those bastards over at Creem snatched you up," Lester asks.

"No, uh, nothing like that. Just freelancing, at the, er, current moment," Frankie says. She lowers her voice an octave so she doesn't sound like the eighteen year old high school graduate she clearly was. She was sure that Rolling Stone would want nothing to do with her if they knew the truth.

"Good to hear. On the envelope in front of me it says you're based out in Santa Monica. Tonight there's a show at The Troubadour. The Nocturnals are performing and if you're up for it, we'll give you fifty dollars to write a review on it. Eight hundred words." Lester spoke so quickly that Frankie couldn't even discern what he was actually saying to her.

The Troubadour. A live show. The Nocturnals. Fifty dollars.

The words replayed over and over in her mind like a broken record. She had no idea that this could even happen to her. Before she could reply, Lester spoke again.

"Fine. Seventy dollars, but I can't go any higher," he sounded exasperated with a hint of desperation laced in between.

Just as Frankie was about to respond with a resonant yes, she hears her mother's voice on the other telephone from her bedroom through the tinny speakers.

"Francine? Who on earth are you speaking to at this time?"

Frankie's heart drops.

"Uh... Hello?" Lester asks, completely confused as to why there were two voices on the line. Before her mother could blow her cover, Frankie drops the receiver onto the kitchen counter and sprints upstairs to her mother's bedroom, slamming her fingers on the lever to end the call.

"It's a friend from school. Sorry it's a late call, I'll get off the phone in a minute," Frankie rushes out, before turning back on her heel and grabbing the other telephone in the kitchen.

"Hi Lester, sorry, that was my, uh, assistant. Yeah. She's sort of new at answering the phones and such," Frankie shoots out quickly, lying straight through her teeth.