June 1973 - entry no. 3

On Monday morning Frankie receives a call from Lester Bangs praising her for her review about The Nocturnals show. It went so well that Lester and the other music editors at Rolling Stone wanted to send Frankie on their West Coast tour for a month. They wanted her to follow the band on the road and write a featured article piece about the mysterious new British rock band that was taking over the industry by storm. It was scheduled to be printed in the middle of the magazine, spanning over three pages.

And they wanted Frankie to write it.

"How are you going to pay for it? Who will you stay with? Is it even safe?" Her mother asks after Frankie gets off the phone with Lester. He still didn't know that she was an eighteen-year-old girl living with her mother. And her mother didn't know that Lester offered to pay an eighteen-year-old girl still living with her mother a lot of money to write this piece.

It was just easier that way.

"The magazine will cover my hotel expenses. I'd obviously stay with the band, but in my own room. It'll be safe, you know me—I stay out of trouble," Frankie says, answering each of her mother's questions one by one.

"But, Francine, how will you—"

"—It's my dream, mom." Cynthia Goodhart purses her lips. She's thinking so hard that Frankie can practically hear the wheels turning in her head. After a few moments, her mother walks over and hugs her tight.

"You better call me every night. I want to know where you are and know that you're safe. And for the love of god please—"

"—No drugs," Frankie finishes for her mother. She hugs her back even tighter.

Three days later, Frankie's mother has just dropped her off at Long Beach Arena in Los Angeles. Her duffle bag is swung over her shoulder, and for the first time in her eighteen years of living, Frankie Goodhart is alone.

And she's shocked at how excited she is.

The Nocturnals are scheduled to play a gig at the arena tonight, and Frankie remembers her instructions. She's meant to seek out their manager, Bryan Greenberg, and retrieve her all access pass for the next month. Then, he'll show her the hotel accommodations, give her a room key, and she's off to start her assignment.

The band has been informed of her role. She remembers Lester telling her that a few of them were not keen on the idea of having a journalist follow them around for a month, but after hearing that they were going to be featured in the next publication of the magazine, their outlook immediately changed.

"Rockstars," Lester said over the phone, "They'll do anything for some decent fuckin' press."

On her way into the arena, Frankie bypasses a behemoth of a vehicle. It's monstrous and gunmetal grey and looks like it's about to fall apart at any moment, and when she squints she can make out the lettering spelling BERNIE on the side near the door. It reeks of marijuana and booze and she can only assume that this is their tour bus.

Before she can continue to walk by, she hears her voice.

"Frankie!" It's Cherry and Frankie is surprised that she's actually happy to see the tall blonde girl. She's wearing another outrageous assortment of clothing, full of frilly layers and white patent leather. Her lips are stained red and she's wearing opaque pink sunglasses and when she wraps her thin arms around Frankie's neck, she instantly hugs her back.

"I'm so glad you're here," Cherry says, and Frankie's glad too.

When they untangle themselves, Cherry grabs onto Frankie's arm and drags her towards the arena, mumbling something about the lingering smell of sex inside of Bernie. Frankie doesn't bother to ask her what she means, instead allows Cherry to drag her inside the venue.