August 1973 - entry no. 9

Frankie writes the Rolling Stone article the night Mary finds her in the airport in San Francisco. After promising her little sister that she'll bring her home after she checks in with Greg and feeds their cat, Frankie stays up all night, clacking away on her sister's old Smith Corona Classic 12 typewriter, writing three thousand words about her time with The Nocturnals.

She writes about their origin. She writes about their dazzling stage presence, the way they build off of each other, the way they trust each other wholeheartedly throughout each show. She writes about their growing tension. She writes about their poor management. She writes about how they're debut album was incredible, chart-stopping, and the main reason why they've been successful. She writes about the promise of their second album being better than the first, and how she couldn't imagine them breaking up any time soon, and how their music is for all the uncool people in the world.

It's amazing and honest and truthful, void of spite or hatred or bias. She tells their story the way it should be told—open and honest and real. When she delivers it to Rolling Stone, they tell Frankie it's going to be on the front page. They love the way she portrays The Nocturnals as normal people, chasing the high they provide for those who pay to watch their show.

But when they make out the call to fact check her piece, they deny everything.

"Did you talk to Harry Styles?" Frankie asks, growing frantic. She figured the least he owed her was to be honest and allow her to write their story.

"He was the one who denied everything."

After that phone call, Frankie returns home with Mary. Once she's opened the door and said hello to her mother, she locks herself in her room for three days and doesn't leave.

Frankie didn't think her heart could withstand any more pain, but she was wrong. She feels a bone-aching tiredness shiver through her body, the hollowness making her feel as if she was just barely there on most days. She can't sleep because her pillow isn't the rising and falling of Harry's bare chest, the soft snoring from his mouth, the gentle caress of his hands over her arms.

Her anger overrides her feeling of emptiness in regards to her heart. She's crushed at the fact that Harry lied to her about Roslyn, but even more so, he continued to lie when he denied her story from Rolling Stone. She hates him in these days, wishing she could tell him how much of a coward he was to his face.

And when she can't sleep at night, she hears Lester's words reverberating through her brain, don't get too close, don't get too close, don't get too close.

Frankie wishes she just fucking listened.

***

The next morning, Frankie is lathering a thin layer of butter over her charred toast when the doorbell rings. She doesn't make a move to answer it, and when Mary approaches the kitchen with a twinkle in her eyes, Frankie knows that whoever is at the door is waiting for her.

"Mary, no—"

"—Go answer it, Frankie."

Frankie gulps her dry toast down her throat, letting it fall onto a paper towel with a soft thud. She walks slowly to the front door, hoping that whoever it is could see the state of disarray she was in and would presumptively leave her alone.

Once she reaches the foyer, she hears a gruff laugh, a noise she's never heard before.

"Holy shit, you're a fuckin' kid."

When she looks up, it's no other than Lester Bangs in the doorway. His long hair is parted to one side, brown eyes covered in black wayfarer sunglasses. His brown leather jacket hangs off his arms, and she's shocked that he would come all the way from San Francisco to talk to her.

"Cat's out the bag," Frankie shrugs, realizing that she's too tired and too hurt to keep up her adult façade. She's fully aware that her plaid pajama bottoms and high school t-shirt give away the fact that she is actually eighteen years old.

But somehow, Lester doesn't seem to mind.

"Had a feeling. You write like you're experiencing shit for the first time in your life." Frankie tries to ignore the truthfulness to his words.

"Yeah, well... What are you exactly doing here, Lester?" Frankie asks.

Lester holds up his left hand and clutched inside is the August edition of Rolling Stone's magazine. On the front cover is a picture of The Nocturnals: Harry, Eddie, Veronica, Jett, and Rod, posing in front of a red backdrop. On the left hand column reads THE NOCTURNALS: Sex, Drugs, and Life on the Road. And right under that, in glossy red print, reads Written by: Frankie Goodhart.

Frankie starts to feel the hollowness inside of her fill up.

"Harry Styles called and told us that everything you said was true. And that he's sorry, for some reason," Lester says, holding out the publication for her to keep. She runs her fingers over the words, smiling for the first time in a week.

"Wow, uh, I don't know what to say," Frankie says, floored.

Lester laughs and produces a second copy, holding out a Sharpie in the other. "Mind if you sign mine? Figured it'll be worth a lot once you make it big, kid."

Frankie laughs, before shakily reaching out and signing her name in big swoopy letters. Before Lester leaves, he tells her to keep sending him her album reviews, and that whenever she figures out what she wants to do with her life, he'll always be waiting for her call.

A few days later, the hollowness doesn't feel as painful anymore. Frankie distracts herself by hanging out with her sister, spending time with her mother, listening to new records, telling Mary the in's and out's of her time on the road. She leaves out a certain curly-haired boy with green eyes that broke her heart, but Mary knows that Frankie will tell her over time, once she's finished mending the scars he left her with.

When Mary announces that she's heading back to San Francisco, her departure isn't as sad as the first time. Cynthia and her daughter seemed to have found common ground with Mary's outlook on life, and with a promise to be back for Thanksgiving, Frankie starts to feel like the ground isn't as shaky as it was a month earlier.

"Want to go to Tower Records with me? One last time before I go, for old time's sake," Mary whispers in her sister's ear when their mother is busy making lunch.

Frankie nods, and the two girls set off across the boardwalk.

The sun warms Frankie to her core, and she suddenly starts to feel the weight being lifted from her shoulders. She feels more in control of her life now than ever before, and walking side by side with her sister, she no longer feels hollow. Instead, she feels excited. Excited for her future. Excited for the idea of endless possibilities and newness.

"You should come with me to San Francisco, Frankie! I can get you a stewardess position and we can travel the world together. Live like we never have before. What do you say, kiddo?" Mary asks, rifling through the "M" section of the new releases in the record store.

Before, Frankie would have done anything to be closer to her sister. But now, in the after, she feels a new sense of home in Santa Monica.

"I think I'm gonna stay here. Go to college at UCLA. Probably study English, if they'll let me," Frankie announces. And for once, she actually means what she's saying.

Mary smiles at her sister, her thumbs crossing over towards the "N" category.

"Whatever you end up doing Frankie, just remember that you're doing it for yourself. And that no matter what, I'm in your corner. Always have, always will."

Frankie reaches an arm around her sister, holding her close. She hopes that Mary can feel the love she has for her through her embrace, and when Mary smiles, she knows she can feel it.

"Oh, I haven't seen this before," Mary says, coming to a stop on a record in the middle of the "N" bin.

Frankie watches as her sister pulls out a black vinyl wrapped in a pink and blue sleeve. The band she spent weeks on the road with is written on the top, with the picture from the Rolling Stone cover in the middle. When Frankie's eyes scroll towards the bottom of the record, she can feel her breath catch in her throat when she reads the name of the title.

GOOD HEART.