July 1973 - entry no. 8

The term bittersweet comes to mind when Bernie rolls into the Fillmore in San Francisco.

Bitter because it's her last show with The Nocturnals. Bitter because Cherry hasn't looked at her in two hours, and she doesn't want to leave with her friendship falling to pieces in front of her. Bitter because she feels like she's truly found herself, and she doesn't want this feeling to escape when she arrives back in Santa Monica. Bitter because she won't be spending her nights wrapped with Harry anymore.

The sweet part is all Harry, Frankie hates to admit. His sweet smile, the taste of his sweet lips, the way his hands feel sweetly wrapped around Frankie's middle, the way she won't hear him say her sweet nickname Franks.

Frankie looks over towards her right and smiles at his sleeping frame tucked next to hers. Her heart practically stilled when he chose to sit near her in the back of the bus instead of his usual spot behind Bryan in the front. If anybody felt a certain way about it, nobody mentioned it, which made Frankie relax into the ripped leather seat. When Harry's warm hand latched onto her thigh, Frankie's heart almost stopped beating.

"Franks, 'm tired. Can I use you as a pillow?" Harry asks, his voice thick with sleep.

Before Frankie could reply, Harry's head was already resting in the crook of her neck, his chestnut curls ticking the underside of her chin. Frankie just smiles, knowing that this would probably be the last spare moment they have together before she has to leave after the show to write her piece for Rolling Stone.

"So soft. You're the sweetest, Franks," Harry mumbles before drifting off into sleep.

The hotel is conveniently across the street from the Fillmore, so while the band unloads their instruments, Frankie slinks into her hotel room to deposit her duffle bag and sort through the endless notes she had taken during her summer with the band. Most of them are scribbled in her notebook that was practically ripping from overuse, but the most important tidbits, the ones that Frankie didn't want to forget, were written on bar napkins and setlist pages. On room service menus and gas station receipts. Frankie makes sure to stuff those into her folder, making sure they stay with her forever.

On her way back to the concert venue, Frankie hears screaming from the room Cherry and Rod share. Part of her wants to knock and make sure that her friend is okay, but after their last conversation, Frankie's convinced that she's probably the last person Cherry wants to see anyways. So she saunters back to the Fillmore, rushing to try and find Harry to lift her spirits once again.

But what she sees does the complete opposite.

Bleach blonde hair. Pretty red dress. Deep hazel eyes. Brand new patent leather pumps. A handbag that definitely cost more than the entire ensemble. Matching red lips.

Red lips that were attached to Harry's.

Frankie freezes. She can feel her heart burst, but not in the way that it has been used to doing the past few days. Instead, it's a painful burst. She can feel shards slice through her beating flesh, ripping her open and spluttering on the concrete flooring.

Suddenly green eyes are latched onto hers.

And suddenly, they're the last thing she wants to see.

"Oh, hello! You must be the reporter everybody has been telling me about. Frankie, right? It's so great to meet you! This is such a great opportunity for everybody," the pretty girl is saying, but Frankie isn't registering anything.

All she's registering is Harry's hands jumping away from the girl's waist. His green eyes wide and pleading. His uncomfortable shuffling behind her.