Chapter 5

Gwen went up to Travis with her heart in her throat. How in the world was she supposed to say this to him? He was leaning beside his locker, talking to his friends. “Travis?” she said.

Upon seeing her, Travis instantly smiled and his light blue eyes twinkled. “Hey!”

“Umm... Travis, do you have a minute. I need to talk to you about something.”

Worry laced Travis' voice as he said, “Sure,” and stepped away from his friends. What did she want to talk about? Had Brent done something bad? Was Brent okay?

“So, what did you want to talk about?”

Gwen was nervous all of a sudden. “I... Um... Do you think you're free this Saturday?”

“Yeah, I am.”

“Oh.” She was really hoping he wouldn't be. “How about going somewhere this Saturday? Just you and me, you know hang out, have fun?”

“Oh, you mean like a date?”

“We can call it date if you want it to be one.” Oh, played safe, Gwen.

Travis grinned widely. “Sure, why not! I'll pick you up from your house, and everything will be cool. We can go to the carnival if you like and then have dinner.”

“Yeah, totally cool.”

“Well then, see you at five on Saturday.” Travis turned around to leave when Gwen said, “Umm... Travis?”

“Yeah?”

“I just want you to know that it will be a friendly date and nothing serious.”

Travis merely nodded, the gears in his mind twisting and a plan for their date already forming in his mind.

***

“We can't believe you were this selfish!” said Cindy once Gwen approached her friends at their lunch table. All of them were eyeing her.

“What?” she asked.

“You and Travis are dating for God knows how long and we are getting to know about this now!”

“Wait, what? No, we're not. We go on our first date this Saturday.”

“My friend is dating my crush. This has to be the worst nightmare,” said Nancy quietly.

“Hey! It's nothing serious. Just a friendly date. You can totally have him Nance,” Gwen said but Violet cut her off by snickering and saying, “After Gwen's done with him.”

“You guys can be ridiculous at times. It's my brother's best friend we're talking about. I'm not going to open up to Travis to be smacked by my brother. You guys know it well.”

“Hey, but what are you going to wear for the date?” asked Mandy.

“I don't know. I'll see.”

“Can I dress you up? Please? You know how much I love doing that!” asked Violet.

“Fine. Except, please don't make me look like a Barbie.”

Violet grinned and they all began to talk about how my date would go and all the things I would do with Travis and almost none of them stood as possibilities.

***

Gwen was a tad bit nervous when Saturday came. She ought to be nervous, for this was her very first date and she had no idea what she was supposed to do and the way she was supposed to act. Violet came to her house at three and began going through her wardrobe.