Chapter 13

Gwen sat with Kylie under the same tree at school where she had first seen Stephen.

“How's Caleb?” she asked her.

“He's okay. But not for long. The little moron stole all my chocolate packs. I had promised to give them to Lucy, you know, my little cousin, but he stole them and it felt so bad seeing her cry.”

“Oh.” Gwen was busy eyeing Stephen and his friends. They were playing Cricket and did Stephen suck at it? Badly. He looked at her and then said something to his friends. They began walking in her direction and settled themselves near her and Kylie. This was so much like when she sat with Travis. Oh, snap, he was there, too.

He eyed her with a weird expression and she, too, felt uneasy under his gaze.

“Gwen, can I talk to you for a second.”

Sure...

“No.”

He gritted his teeth. She was so embarrassing.

“I insist.”

“I don't care. Never have.”

Stephen looked at both of them with an amused look on his face before saying, “Oh, you know each other. This is... Interesting.”

“Uh, no, it isn't. He's a world-class loser and I'm a really cool person. Is that interesting? I'll answer that. No.”

“You rant so much, sometimes my ears find it hard to keep up.”

“You exaggerate so much, sometimes my ears find it hard to keep up. Now stop whining, Stephen. And tell me, how's Daisy?”

“She's okay. She misses you. You wanna come and meet her today?”

“I'd love too.”

“Okay, then, scene on.”

“How the heck do you two know each other?” hissed Travis.

“If you're jealoused, get lost,” said Gwen.

“Yeah, Travis, if you're jealoused, get lost.”

“What's going on between you two, tell me.”

“We're siblings,” said Gwen stupidly. Stephen's eyes widened and he took Gwen's hand and made her stand up.

“What in the world, Stephen?”

“Shh.” And he led her to an empty corridor.

“How the hell did that happen?”

“What, Stephen?”

“Why would you say we were siblings?”

“It just slipped out of my mouth.”

“Why that, of all things?”

“I don't know, okay? I've got a stupid mouth. Why the hell are you so pissed? Why do you even care what I say?”

“I'm not pissed, just plain shocked.”

“At the fact that I said we were siblings? You've got brains the size of a peanut.”

Stephen glared at her and let out a deep breath. Then, he suddenly hugged her out of nowhere.

“Stephen? Are you okay?”

He just hugged her tight and said nothing.

“Stephen?”

“I just love you so much, Gwen.”

Gwen stiffened, and Stephen sensed it.

He moved apart to look at her face that showed absolute shock at his words. He smiled and said, “As a friend, stupid.” She raised at perfectly shaped eyebrow. “Of course,” she smiled.